Best speakers for laptop?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jake101, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Jake101

Jake101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looking between these 2 sets of speakers.

Logitech X-530 PC Multimedia Home Theatre Speaker System - 70 Watt (Total) (5.1): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Logitech Z323 Speaker System: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The latter are not in stock but don't mind waiting. I just want to be able to listen to music a little louder and watch TV shows/films. I wouldn't mind spending 50 quid but would prefer about 40. What else do I need to hook them up to my laptop or do they just go into the headphone jack?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    The 530 set is just too many speakers imho for too low price. This means they are not going to be great quality and doubt they will sound any better than the internal speakers. Also I suspect they need a soundcard that decodes the sound and sends it out via 3 phono leads. Hence you would not be able to get all 5.1 speakers working with just a headphone socket.
    The 323 may be a little better but I have a similar set and they are just OK with movies but with music are pretty dire. The bass is too boomy and monotone and there seems to be a frequency gap between the sub and the satelites.
    For your low budget I would look to either go secondhand or go for a 2.0 system instead of 2.1 or more. I know these are over budget but something like this will sound so much better:

Behringer MS20 Compact Active Speaker System (pair) | Andertons