1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Speakers For 7.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dealmaker, Mar 1, 2001.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm about to purchase a Denon AVR3801 amp which is a 7X105 watt 7.1 wonder!

What are suitable side and rear speakers to use??

Should i go for di-pole designs on the side and rear channels or would standard directional bookshelf types do the same job?

2. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mission FS2's are a modular design which allow more speakers to be added. It should be suitable for a 7.1 setup
    http://www.flat-speaker.co.uk

3. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Hi Jim

Where did you get the 774's from and how much? I need new speakers to go close to my wall so i've auditioned the 773's but would quite like more oomph.

Alan

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    For small really good HC speakers try the M&K 55 series. they are fairly small, so have a high spouse acceptance facter.
    The only problem with them is cost, may be out of your ball-park. (For a 3801 that is!)
    Worth it if you are going to change your amp agian within 5 years.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Your best bet for rear speakers is to get speakers from the same range as the front speakers. That way when you have panning effects it doesn't sound different as you go from speaker to speaker.

A few questions for you...

Do you have front speakers yet? if so what are they? what is your budget? Room size? do you listen to music or film mainly? are you going to get DVD audio/sacd?

Personally I have Mission 774 speakers with my 3801 and I am finding them great so far (only arrived yesterday). For surrounds I am going to go with the 77ds bipoles, as I like the idea of them 'wrapping' the sound around the listener, rather than a point source effect as you get with monoploes (normal speakers) - not to mention that they are recommended to be mounted high on the wall, which keeps my lovely wife happy...

Jim

6. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jim,

I haven't bought any speakers as yet. In order to keep my wife happy I will also have to fit wall mounted types - and as the home cinema room is also the kids' play room floorstanders are out of the question!

I was thinking of something like a Ruark vito package with an extra pair of satellites i.e 6 satellites, 1 centre, 1 sub.

But I've heard di-polar speakers work better with 7.1....is this true? and if so does this mean di-polar for side and rear?

To answer some of your other questions :

The room is 15'6" x 13'6" and the screen is on the shorter wall. We will be sitting approx 12 ft from the screen.

I will be watching exclusivley DVD's and NO music (I have a MEGA two channel set up in a different room for that!)

I was also thinking about slimline Acoustic Research Phantom speakers : 8.3's front 6.2's side & 5.2's rear - however these are conventional mono pole speakers (albeit very slim at 3" deep)

Thanks

[This message has been edited by dealmaker (edited 01-03-2001).]

7. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dealmaker,

I've just bought a set of B&W nts with the CDM9nts for the front pair. In the demo I had, the rear effects looked great and are just 5 inches deep (high wife acceptance factor) and although they are not dipole, contrary to views already expressed, the sound is diffused and comes from all around the room. I am using some expensive source equipment and that is almost certanly playing a part in this, but nevertheless the direct vs dipole thing is not clearcut.