Best Speakers £600

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by thedonreturns, Apr 27, 2007.

1. thedonreturns

thedonreturns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you get for £600?

At the top of my list is the Sony Pascal SA-VE835ED

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Pmc Db1+ £675.

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,366
    You are obviously after a SUB/SAT system with excellent quality, well to honest the Sony Pascal SA-VE835ED whould not be on top of my list, I doubt if I would even have looked at them, Sony are not known as reknowned speaker manufacters.
    I suggest looking at Acoustic Energy, B&W, Mission etc etc.
    The Acoustic Energy Aego T's are the ones getting all the attention at the moment, they do not seem to have a bad review anywhere.
    http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_T.asp
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2544
    http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/acousticenergyaegot-aeaegot.shtml
    https://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=MCUBE
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5945
    What Home Cinema Chioce had to say about the Sony's http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/SpeakerPackages/Sony/SonySA-VE835ED.php "Overall, this is a very fine looker that will compliment almost any living space; but while it is pleasing on the eye, the system lacks dynamism and is too reliant on the limited subwoofer."

4. thedonreturns

thedonreturns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I got a bit dupped by the Sony Centre sales man :)

Will look into these speakers with great interest

5. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    TBH I didn't think they still sold those Sony's.....

My vote goes to the AE Aego T's - cracking speakers for the money.

6. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Just bought a pair of these, was so impressed at home ordered another pair and a centre:thumbsup:

Are you after a 5.1 set or a stereo pair? 'Cus the DB1s are 675 for a stereo pair :eek:

7. thedonreturns

thedonreturns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to get the
    • Sony STR-DA5200ES Amp
    • Sony Bravia 46X LCD
    • PS3 to get Blue-Ray
    • Toshiba HD DVD XE1
    • Sky+ HD

I think the picture quality will be excellent with this system. Picutre won't mean anything without excellent sound. 5.1 would be excellent with that amp. However, I do want want to try out DTS. Is DTS the best sound out there and can you get that using that Amp from that HD DVD (lol if that made any sense)?

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    with that amp, personally i'd save up a bit more money and get better speakers....why diddle yourself out of decent sound?

you could always buy from a place doing a finance, a number of hifi shops do 12 months interest free, altho only take it up if you can guarantee paying off the rest over time or at the end of 12 months, the penalty interest charge if you end up going 36 is normally around 30% :eek:

with that amp you should be looking to get a speaker setup worth around £1,200 tbh.....that would suit just perfect....

9. nuttyboyz

nuttyboyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Revolver RW33 for me,clarity,massive sound stage,punch and speed:thumbsup: luv em.

10. thedonreturns

thedonreturns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes your right. That amp does need a powerful speaker system :)

I probably will do the interest free option as I will be gaining interest on the cash I leave in the bank account. All I need to do now is not spend the cash in the bank account lol

As I am getting an expensive home cinema system. I'm basically looking for something that will last me 3+years and not have to worry about future tech developments which make the whole thing redundant :rolleyes:

What speakers would you suggest for £1200? I'm more keen on satellite speakers....

By the way. I just bought a new house in Harrow (hence the new system :cool: )

Knyght byte - You sell systems?

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Well done, I'm sure Sony will be very happy.

12. thedonreturns

thedonreturns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol you got a point there...hmmmm

Anyone got any other suggestions. I'm not going for the Sony speakers. Could go for the Xbos but then do not benefit from Blu-Ray...aaggghhhhh :eek:

13. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I'd be looking at something based around the MA RS6 and LCR across the front, with either the FX or RS1's at the back, or something from the Radius or even Bronze range. Doesn't leave much for a sub, though......

Or just go for the whole Bronze range for £950 inc sub.

Not satellites, though, but really worth the money.

14. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    thedontreturns, i live in Harrow, well, Kenton on the Brent side being literal, but i tend to know Harrow better for living near the main Kenton high Road....

what are you in, a flat or house? if its a house then seriously, spend good money, most of the Harrow houses are well built and have good acoustics due to decent high ceilings....

if you MUST have satellites, then go for either M&K altho be aware the company is having a few troubles, or go for Monitor Audio Radius series.....

for £1,200 i'd say (not having heard M&K properly) give MA Radius a go, R90 front and rears, R180 centre, that lot will set you back around £650ish i think, then add a SVS PB12+ if you in a full size house, if in a flat go for the SVS SB12+.....that uses up most or all of your budget......but you'll have a system you'll find invigorating and intrigueing with both movies and music....

oh and no, i dont sell hifi...lol....

ah yeah, piece of advice, go to Swiss Cottage Sevenoaks shop, not the closest, but to my mind the best thats near.......after almost being charged double on an optical cable by Harrow Audio i'm not inclined to recommend them, not sure how good Watford Sevenoaks are altho i've heard they are pretty good.....sadly not a lot left in Harrow since Electra Etc closed down....

anyways, let me know if you want any more advice, im off to go shoot things on CounterStrike:Source as i've had a couple bottles of wine and in the mood to inflict pain :D

edit: btw, the RS and BR range that matt mentions above are seriously worth considering, they wont have quite the Wife Approval Factor (WAF) compared to the Radius models, but soundwise the BR are just above Radius and RS are a league above.....if you went RS you really wouldnt need to change for years to come unless you get rich......in fact, forget RS6 floorstanders, a pair of RS1 bookshelfs are generally considered quite wife friendly, with a RSLCR centre cleverly hidden or incorporated in to a stand and some RSFX bookshelfs, you get a stonking system......the downside is the sub, difficult to hide generally....however the SVS SB12+ is reasonably tiny (approx 14in each side cube) but manages quite stupid levels of performance......or if the missus can be convinced a subwoofer that resembles a coffee table is ok, then SVS PB12+ is just outrageous performance for movies and pretty convincing for music....i know, i have one....and i'm a fussy git...lol

anyhow, like i say, if you want any extra advice, post again or PM me, in fact give me a few days to tidy up and your welcome to experience my system :)
    (forgot, my sig is a quote atm.....for your benefit......Monitor Audio S6 fronts, SLCR centre SFX sides, S2 rears (these are previous range to current MA RS range, not much difference, mostly refinement), Denon 3803 amp, 3910 DVD player (approx £1k a piece at RRP), SVS PB12+ subwoofer (check the subwoofer forum section ) Musical Fidelity A5 amp and MA GR10 Hifi speakers.....)

15. thedonreturns

thedonreturns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Knyght_Byte.

Had a look at the MA RS Range and WOW! What a subwoofer!! It's house I'm moving into so a powerful subwoofer is a must. Lol but I think my Mrs will think I've gone mad if that monster subwoofer turns up to the house :nono:

The RS range would set me back about £1650 which is a lot but I think I won't need to worry about a replacement for at least 10 years lol :smashin:
    I would go for that whole range if it weren't for the really expensive subwoofer.

Thanks for the offer mate. I would love to check out that bad-boy system of yours next time I'm in Harrow. I'll be moving into the area sometime in June when I get all the decorating finished :thumbsup:

16. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Fear not!..............or at least consider this :)

My RS6's and LCR work very nicely with a BK XLS200DF, granted it does not drop to the blue whale confusing lows, but it does compliment the mains nicely with a cutoff at around 60Hz (room dependent etc).

Worth a thunk.

Phil