Answered Best speaker upgrade from an entry level setup

Heng

Novice Member
Current setup: wharfedale diamond 220 , smsl sa-50 , definitive prosub 800.

Hi guys, does anyone have suggestions for a significant upgrade to the wharfedales in the £500-700 range.
It is for music listening (mostly jazz and guitar based), moderate volume only out of courtesy to neighbours. I generally like a warm sound.

I'm currently in near field setup on desk but no problems if stands will be required. Active or passive both ok.

Thanks

DT79

Distinguished Member
Have a look on ebay for some second hand AVI DM5 or Acoustic Energy AE1 Active. Should be able to find some within that budget. I know the DM5s and they are fantastic. The AE1 Actives have a great reputation. I highly doubt you could better either of those with amp/passive speakers without spending significantly more.

Heng

Novice Member
Thanks for the response, i will check those ones out.

Do you think going from near field to mid field (with stands) will be a good improvement?
Im thinking it must open up the soundstage.
my room is 3 metres wide and 7 metres long.
currently my speakers only sit 1m apart on desk

Last edited:

muljao

I can't help but think it should be the amp that you upgrade

DT79

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the response, i will check those ones out.

Do you think going from near field to mid field (with stands) will be a good improvement?
Im thinking it must open up the soundstage.
my room is 3 metres wide and 7 metres long.
currently my speakers only sit 1m apart on desk

It depends where you’re going to listen from. If you’re typically in a seat some way back, then yes, try to get the speakers and your listening position on roughly an equilateral triangle.

By the way, you are going to need a preamp if you go with active speakers (unless you get some with a preamp built in, which neither of the ones I suggested have, and I think may be too expensive for your budget). But if you went with actives you could sell the amp to fund a preamp presumably. Unless you have a single source with avariable volume output, then you could hook it up straight to the actives.

Last edited:

Heng

Novice Member
It depends where you’re going to listen from. If you’re typically in a seat some way back, then yes, try to get the speakers and your listening position on roughly an equilateral triangle.

Would a 2 metres side equilateral triangle sound similar in terms of soundstage to a 1 metre?
I do currently sit 1 metre away so it fulfils the correct position for this spacing

DT79

Distinguished Member
Would a 2 metres side equilateral triangle sound similar in terms of soundstage to a 1 metre?
I do currently sit 1 metre away so it fulfils the correct position for this spacing

I’m not sure. Technically from a soundstage perspective it should be OK regardless of the distances involved, but it’s a question of scale. The bigger it is, the more it will sound like the real thing. Plus I think a lot of speakers come alive with a bit of power going through them, which you won’t really get the opportunity to do if you’re sat so close.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom