Best speaker stand for SVS Ultra Bookshelf?

PhilRaw

Novice Member
Hello,

I am looking for recommendations on what speaker stand would be most suitable for SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers. These are large bookshelf speakers and as such a lot of stands are not suitable. Please could someone advise?

Thanks,
Philip

Kapkirk

Yeah a lot of stands these days are not up to the job with larger bookshelves. Forget the like of Atacama, they are too flimsy unless you go for the really large XL's
The best 3 in my opinion are (the cheapest (B&W STAV-24) not very pretty though.
..or possibly if you can get hold of them used on eBay-the older B&W fs700 in grey silver or black, these are cast iron and very sturdy and can be filled. I loved those when I had them.
lastly the stands I am using now for my large Elac DBR62, the Focal S900's which are also very sturdy especially when half filled with gravel. They also look very smart and are Made of aluminium and a very heavy tempered glass base but quite expensive, 200 -300 quid but definitely worth it.

Focal_S900BLK_1-1.jpg

Kapkirk

Older B&W FS700

837_2.jpg

PhilRaw

Novice Member
Yeah a lot of stands these days are not up to the job with larger bookshelves. Forget the like of Atacama, they are too flimsy unless you go for the really large XL's
The best 3 in my opinion are (the cheapest (B&W STAV-24) not very pretty though.
..or possibly if you can get hold of them used on eBay-the older B&W fs700 in grey silver or black, these are cast iron and very sturdy and can be filled. I loved those when I had them.
lastly the stands I am using now for my large Elac DBR62, the Focal S900's which are also very sturdy especially when half filled with gravel. They also look very smart and are Made of aluminium and a very heavy tempered glass base but quite expensive, 200 -300 quid but definitely worth it.

View attachment 1597184

Thank you, this is very useful information; however, I am unsure what you mean by filling the speaker stands with gravel? I am new to speaker stands and did not know this was necessary, what sort of gravel do you use?

Kapkirk

OK the reason why many people fill their stands with things like sand, gravel or Atabytes is for 2 main reasons, firstly it makes them much heavier at the bottom and therefore much studier and secondly it stops the columns from resonating or ringing and colouring the sound, unfilled stands can ring like a bell if you tap them or flick them with your finger and the general consensus amongst some audiofile's is that this can interfere with the sound in some way, personally I have never detected ANY difference between filled or unfilled stands in sound quality but always fill mine to get the extra weight and sturdiness. It is completely optional, you don't have to fill them but it does help. You would normally remove the top plate of the stand and pour in enough to half or three quarter fill them, you half fill them as you want all the weight at the bottom, this is normally enough to also make them sound dead and not ring/resonate. I used dried small pea gravel like the one below, or you can use kiln dried sand (messy) or heavy clumping cat litter (nice and cheap) -You get a lot of gravel/sand for not much money and it basically does the same job as Atacama Atabites (heavy inert pieces of metal) which can work out very expensive.
Amazon product
See video of how to do it.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom