Question Best speaker selection in tight space for small home cinema?

steve12

Atomicus

I'm still in the process of building the room, stud walls etc. and I will have the option of running a shelf across the front under the screen at any height I want, but this would only be 30cm deep at most so with the R100s 289mm deep, I don't know if that's viable, as they'd be awfully close to the wall.

The other factor to consider is if I go with the Q50A upfiring Atmos speakers, which would sit on top of the R100s, giving me less height to work with.

Those B-Tech brackets might make the most sense. I can easily position a stud ready to take those, and I see B-Tech also do Centre brackets. I'm guessing this would resolve any issues of them being too close to the wall, as this would be factored into the design of the bracket itself. They're pretty cheap too, certainly compared to some others I've seen!

steve12

Just be carefull with the center bracket, The R2c is over the weight limit of the bracket mate

Atomicus

Ah yes I see that. I've found a few others which will do the job anyway. I'm definitely going to have to wait until I've got everything before I know for sure where it's all going sit exactly, but if I settle on wall brackets that will make the horizontal position planning much easier... I'll just have to figure out exact height later.

Would there be any guidelines or recommendation as to how far the R100s should be from the wall? My room will be approx 2.5m wide all said and done.

The other issue I'll have is the surrounds placement. I know this is going to be largely dependent on seating position, but from what I can figure out so far, I'll be pretty close to the back of the room which is 4m long. Unclear if I should be putting those speakers behind me, or to the sides.

Think I mentioned previously that my sub will be going in the rear corner, due to no room at the front.

gibbsy

Would there be any guidelines or recommendation as to how far the R100s should be from the wall?
Mine are on wall brackets and perform well. They are very easy to place, you may need to use half bungs if really close.

D

Deleted member 39241

To overcome localisation on the rears, you could put them higher up on the wall, and try angling them to get some reflection.

steve12

Taken from the manual mate

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_110718.jpg
    IMG_20191102_110718.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28

gibbsy

Taken from the manual mate
In a perfect world. I have my R300s running at half that distance from a rear wall. Well within the side wall though.

Atomicus

To overcome localisation on the rears, you could put them higher up on the wall, and try angling them to get some reflection.

As previously mentioned, due to my screen taking up virtually the whole width of the room, I am very limited on height. I don't know exactly yet, but from my measurements I will have 60-70cm at best to work with underneath the screen. I will have bean bags as seating though, so that mitigates the height issue somewhat.

Based on the image above from the manual, this poses a problem. If I have the R100s 9" from the wall, they will be hit by the door when I enter the room. That obviously can't happen.

On a side note, changing tack entirely, just curious how the Q Acoustic 3020i fare against the R100? May be no contest, but a friend of mine has a pair, albeit just two in a lounge environment with no sub, but I was very impressed with how they sounded.

Last edited:

steve12

Have you thought about having a smaller screen size ;)

Atomicus

Have you thought about having a smaller screen size ;)

I'd have to drop down considerably, to 90" or less. That's quite a lot of screen real estate to be losing from the 110" I know I can fit. Plus I would still have the issue of distance from the wall, given the door opening.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39241

Your screen size won't affect the height of the rear speakers, will it?

steve12

Atomicus

I had originally considered that, and building an extra fake wall (avoiding cutting into sound insulated one) but I wanted to avoid the room size loss.

I also wanted to avoid a fixed solution if possible, just for simplicity if and when I move. I’ve discovered there is nothing simple about this project though lol!

The other one was cost and uncertainty as to what would be an effective in-wall speaker. There do seem to be more in-wall options available now from when I last looked though. Could anyone advise on this?

As mentioned, I’m generally opposed to cutting holes in my sound insulated walls/ceilings for obvious reasons, but at the screen end, I could in theory build a thin fake wall just deep enough for in-wall speakers, in front of the actual sound insulated one, and have an AT screen in front... cost permitting.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom