1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Speaker package/separate speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rjcowan, May 3, 2001.

1. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am just starting to put a hopefully nice system together. Amp is the denon avr - 3801 but I am confused about which speakers to get for movie & music. Does anyone suggest a few options given a price range of £600 - £800. I am told that mission m70 series lack a bit at the lower level. :confused:

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Acoustic Energy 100 series or Mission Cinema7 should be a good start, add a subwoofer later for the last bit in low-end bang.

[ 03-05-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

3. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&W make great speakers although there a bit pricey. I use CDM2 stereos which are excellent but I'm not so sure about the CDMC centre....personally I think it's a bit too tinny but some say unless you start spending over £500 on a centre, you can't do much else. I use Tannoy R1s for rear centres which do the job and Tannoy M3s for surrounds. I think Tannoy are good value for money but you'll find you'll want to upgrade from them when you've got the cash. My M&K VII sub works wonders and it's small enough to hide between 2 armchairs. Good luck!!

4. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks lads I will take this into account and go and listen to them. Any good dvds i should try to show the quality of the speakers?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the quality is better judged by using music, so take you favorite CDs along, too.
    And of course some DVDs you are familiar with, else 'The 5th Element' (rear effects, opera scene) comes to mind and perhaps 'Roy Orbison - Black and White Night' (multichannel music in DD and DTS 5.1).

[ 04-05-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

6. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 DVDs I definitely recommend to demonstrate superb sound are Ronin DD 5.1 (beginning and car chase sequence) and Gladiator (beginning scenes and battles) in DTS. My favourite is Saving Private Ryan in DTS....amazing!!! Good luck.