Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best speaker package for under £500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by warrior99, Sep 25, 2003.

1. warrior99

warrior99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm setting up a 5.1 speaker system. I have decided on the dvd player - cambridge audio dvd57 and amp yamaha dsp-ax640se but I cannot decide on the speakers, £500 is my price limit and I am purely interested in movie performance over all else. I particularly like blockbuster films so a good sub is vital. I like star wars, star trek, the hulk, independance day, jurassic park. Most of the arnie films and rockys and rambos, the mummy ect you get the picture. I am very limited to places I can demo speakers in stoke-on-trent there is richer sounds about 30 minutes away but they have not got a wide range, you could have a look at them for me on this page

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemlist.php&c=1306

the other place would be manchester which would take me about an hour to get there on a good day where there is sevenoaks and practical hifi and superfi.

Any help would be appreciated

2. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go to leconcepts you can get mission m3x package for around £300 ~ 350.. the balance you can shop around for a decent sub or find a 2nd hand one in the classifieds :cool:

3. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
  4. warrior99

warrior99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Creative-audio seem worth a visit. I think I may see if I can audition them new kef 2005.2. Its hard to believe such small speakers can produce such amazing sound as I have always looked towards getting big floor standers like the eltax 5.0 system but if the reviewers are to be believed then the eltax are just average and the kefs are amazing.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Well MS Premiere or Premiere plus should be yours for under £500 I would stay away from a cambridge DVD and got for a pioneer or a Tosh personally!!! Yam Amp a good place to start What display will it be used with?

6. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't mean to cross post here, but was just posting on the MS Premier thread too. I see you suggesting the Premier or Prem. Plus for under £500. I'm looking for smallish speakers and an amp/receiver for around £700-£1000. Want it to be good/better for Music, but good for film too. Would the premiers be your suggestion? And where could I find the Premier plus for under £500? No one over here in Northern Ireland I've spoken to carries them yet = would have to order. Cheers.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Actually at £700 to £1000 i would recomend Infinty Oreus £700 for 5.1 £100 per extra speaker they are a very good sound music and movies for the money and look good see www.infinitysystems.com for more info.

8. warrior99

warrior99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Horneydragon

My display would be a sanyo plv-z1 which I am expecting to arrive in about a week. At the moment I only have 6 ft wide pulldown screen. Will upgrade to a 8ft wide after I have performed some building modifications to my proposed cinema room. This will involve raising the roof up about 3ft to match the area at the back of the room and also bricking up all the windows.
    I chose the cambridge audio because I think it is the best featured with good solid picture for the price. Where else can you get progressive scan in ntsc and pal, component video connections, multi region, multi format, dvd audio and even a in built decoder for dts and dolby should you need it.. Although I am now considering getting the 55 model instead of the 57 due to the lack of dvd audio disks at this time which is only £150.

The premier speakers have only got average reviews off a lot of magazines but i think i need to listen to them for myself.

I have seen the Wharfedale screen 4 speaker package given a five star review and voted the best surround sound speakers for under £1000. It actually £500 but I have seen them for £350. They are great looking floorstanding speakers but there is no sub the speakers own woofer is supposed to kick out good bass but I would still be inclined to invest in a sub and for this price it would'nt be a problem. Has anyone got this Wharfedale speaker package that can comment also what sub would go best with this. And does anyone know where I could audition these speakers near stoke-on-trent.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    If using an LCD PJ then i would really look for a demo of PJ with DVD player as the signals from cheap PS players are often worse than the interlaced ones!!!! Marantz DV4300 should be found for £250 is or Harman DVD£25 £300 ish (not online) with that sort of setup Premiere+ minimum and premiere at £500 are not awsome however at £300 they are bloody good! again i would reconmend listening to Infinity Oreus Which will be found for £700 SRP but should be able to get them for £600 if you shop around. Cant help with a Stoke demo I'm afraid though.

10. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon,
    Thanks for your reply. I checked out the Oreus site and elsewhere and noticed that the satellites are not magnetically shielded. Is this true? Is the centre speaker shielded? This could potentially be important for me, as I don't have much space around my TV and may have to set whatever speakers I get on the shelf the TV's on, either side, or on stands quite close by. My wife isn't keen for me to start wall mounting things. . .
    That having been said, if they are shielded, what amp/receiver would you pair with this for good/better music and dvd sound? Again, total outlay around £1000.
    If not, what do you think of the KEF 2005.1 eggs, for around less than £500, or is there anything else a bit cheaper than £600 you'd recommend (than Oreus) for my requirements, that still continues to be smallish? Still have only heard the Premiers. Not a lot of demo selection in this price range over here in N.I., I'm afraid.
    + My wife is still not convinced of the look of the eggs . . .
    Thanks again.
    Edit: Have been quoted £585 for the Premier Plus now = ordered through a retailer an hour away. Cheapest I've seen Oreus is £699. Modulous is more. (HiFiBitz). Hmmmm.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Well with a PJ Sheilding is not an issue!!! Prem + may be the way forward!

12. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Hornydragon. BTW, what do you mean by PJ?
    And what amp/receiver would you pair with that, then, for best Music playback and good film - all under £1000?
    Cheers.
    -BTW, have you any thoughts on the Sib and Cub pack, from JMLabs? Or the KEF eggs 2005.1 or .2 (if I'm able to convince my wife), if the oreus won't work?

13. warrior99

warrior99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi horneydragon

just out of interest have you ever actually seen the cambridge audio dvd in operation? I have seen it today on a plasma screen and cannot fault it at this point. The problem is (and correct me if I am wrong technically)I want a dvd player that will play multiregion dvds so that if I want i can play region 1 dvd's these will output an ntsc signal, i will then want that signal with progressive scan for a high quality image. The same goes for region 2 which would output pal I would then want that pal signal to be progressive. The problem putting me off most dvd's is that they are either pal progressive or ntsc progressive but not both. I am interested in the harmon kardon but I cannot find anywhere within a fifty mile radius that can give me a demo. But I do have a richer sounds shop about half an hour away from me and they said all there products have a 14 day no quibble return policy anyway, so what have I got to lose. If I get audio problems such as skipping or lip sync that bothers me or if my projector does'nt like the progressive pic then I will have to return it and throw caution to the wind and get a harmon kardon 25 through mail order. Like I say I am not sure about the region's and the ntsc/pal perhaps you can clarify it for me, if I were to get say The Hulk on region 1 usa and my dvd only did pal progressive would I get a progressive picture or not? Alternatively if I had a region 2 dvd and my dvd only had ntsc progressive would I get a progressive signal or not, or am I right in thinking i would need one that did both? If so are there any other dvd's upto about the £300 mark that have components and progressive scan for ntsc and pal that I could consider.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Experienced forum member ReTro claims that the Sib & Cub set is the best sub / sat setup in that type of price range that he has heard - and he has heard a few