Best speaker match

ravendark

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I've just bought a Musical Fidelity M6si amp and i'm running Mission M52 floor stand speakers with the amp.
Any recommendations for an up-grade. I want to stay with floor standers. £ up to £2K

Thanks for looking! Paul

Theres a whole bunch of option in the £1500 - 2k price range for floor standing speakers. On our site alone we have options from the like of Monitor Audio, Focal, Dali and Tannoy. At this price range they are all good speakers within their own right, do you have any idea of the kind of sound your looking for?

Thanks for the reply.
I find the Missions, a bit bright on the treble & lacking in bass. Maybe the source lets the Amp down. I'm using an Arcam CD72T and a Linn Axis. I play 70's Heavy Rock to very Heavy Metal on vinyl & CD's.

If you look here you can see some other cheaper options and to be honest, Atmos speakers wont give any decent amp a hard time.

So, given that you find the Mission a bit bright and lacking in bass, can we assume you are looking for speakers that are smoother and perhaps warmer?

And your budget is up to £2000/pr for a Stereo Pair?

And your current amp is the Musical Fidelity M6si (£2500) with 200w/ch and USB DAC?

In all honesty, that amp dserves some £4000/pr to £6000/pr speakers, but that is easy for me to say since I'm not paying for them.

I would suggest you check out the Bowers-Wilkins CM series -

B&W CM9 - £2000/pr -

B&W CM9 S2 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Though well under budget, I would suggest you check out the Wharfedale REVA 4 (£1300/pr), though they are not that easy to find -

New Warfedale REVA Speakers

A bit smaller than the Diamonds, but based on the YouTube sample I found, exceptionally clear without being bright or sharp.

Wharfedale Reva-4 Speakers (Pair)

The Dali Opticon 8 (replacement for the IKON) have gotten so good review by forum members, at least give them a look and a listen -

Dali Opticon 8 Speakers - Superfi

In the same vein as the Opticon, if possible at least give the FOCAL Aria 936 a listen. I'm told that the Aria 936 have mellowed a bit over the previous 836, and I would expect stunning clarity form them, though very balanced (not exaggerated) Bass.

Focal Aria 936 Speakers (Pair)

I've not heard the new 900 Series but I did a couple of auditions of the 800 series and was very impress, though they are a bit forward, but I did not find them excessively bright. Again, I'm told the 900 Series are a bit mellower than the older 800 series.

Again a little forward, though not necessarily bright, the Monitor Audio 8 or 10 are worth a look and listen -

Monitor Audio Silver 10 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Your Mission M52 are Single Bass Driver floorstanding, if you want to continue with the single driver design, the consider the Dali Rubicon 5 -

Dali Rubicon 5 Speakers (Pair) Walnut - Open Box

I have no direct contact with ProAc, but all indications are they they make stunning speakers, though less readily available relative to some of the other models mentioned -

https://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/hi-fi-speakers/floor-standing-speakers/proac-studio-148-speakers

Of those listed, likely, as a best guess, the B&W CM9 would be most suited and The DALI Rubicon 5 would be closest to the speaker configuration you currently have, and the Rubicon should be pretty impressive speakers.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Might I suggest you sell the MF and buy a pair of Adam Audio Pencils in gloss black. Delicious and awesome.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom