1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best soundproofing i can have for 3 inches

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by ibster, Apr 26, 2004.

1. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

in the process of moving house to a mid terrace, i want to soundproof the wall adjoining the neighbours but the problem is that i have a rear window which is only 3 inches away from the wall. I need to find a solution whereby i can limit the sound going next door (especially bass) with a maximum of 3 inches width, has anyone been in this situation ? any ideas anyone ?

thanx in advance

2. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'd be interested in this too, but for the other way round - to block out the sound from my bl##dy annoying neighbours :|

3. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    any info on this ?

4. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Build a stud wall (2 layers of acoustic board) and fill it with dense insulating wool, make sure it's well sealed and jointed.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Yep - as Fufna says, but make sure the new stud wall isn't touching the existing wall or sound will travel where it touches (a half inch to one inch gap).

If you can't get the board, two layers of plasterboard is a good alternative. Use no-more-nails or similar to glue them together for added stiffness. Make the studs at 600mm centers and the joins of the second layer shouldn't coincide with the first (to minimise the chance of sound traveling through)

You can use Wickes insulation inside the new wall, and the high density 30mm slabs will probably be a good choice.

If you use the search you should find various posts plus some pics of what some people have done to soundproof their rooms. I've a few pics on my site if you're interested. Use silicon rubber or similar to seal all edges and gaps/edges in the new wall - where air can go, so can sound, so this is quite important.

Gary.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    How would you go about doing a ceiling? The people above me (I live in a flat) are driving me mad with all the noise they make until the early hours. I've tried dropping subtle hints but they don't seem to understand the stress and annoyance they are causing or just couldn't give 2 fooks.
    I have quite a stressful job in a noisey environment (press shop, cold heading machines etc) and all I want to do after a days work is to go home and relax in a noise free zone (unless I'm making it). I've spent loads on headphone amps and the like so as to not intrude into other peoples space and to block out the racket they make. Since there appears to be no resoning with these people I've got to look at other alternatives.
    If there is an easy inexpensive way of dampening the sound they make I'd be very interested to hear it:) otherwise the only other alternative is to move.:(

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    What kind of noise is it? Music? Walking etc?

If you could fill the ceiling joists with insulation, then that could help, but you'd have to remove the existing ceiling plaster to do it as I doubt upstairs will be interested in helping you by allowing the removal of their floorboards. You could ask them just so they know how much hassle they are causing you though...

From underneath, another layer of plasterboard can help - take it up to, but not quite touching your walls (glue and screw it to the ceiling joists and existing plaster ceiling), then silicon/caulk the remaining 1/4inch or so at the edges. If it's impact noise you can hear, there's probably not much you can do other than fit another ceiling (not attached to the existing ceiling, but the walls).

What might work is to fit another layer of plasterboard to the ceiling as mentioned, then glue the Wickes 30mm HD slabs to it, (without any gaps). Then have a false ceiling fitted possibly with another quilt of insulation layed inside it.

Here's a site that might have some info that could help:

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/help.htm

Gary.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Thanks for that :)
    The noise is generally impact noise from them having what sounds like a scrum down above my lounge. They tend to have anything upto about six people wandering around at any one time (it's only a one bedroom flat) with all the general high jinx banter that late teenagers have which is most anoying at times. I know it's not totally down to them due to the design of the block of flats I live in but unwanted noise does tend to wear you down when in seems to be unrelenting:(
    I never used to notice any of the other tenants (three lots)that have lived in the flat above so I'm putting it down to their selfishness and total lack of regard for others feelings. Hopefully they'll move on soon and go make someone elses life a misery.:mad:

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Ever thought of adopting some bad hygene? The smell may make them want to leave sooner rather than later. :)

Are the flats a converted house? They tend to be worse because there's only a layer of plaster and some floorboards seperating you so there's not much stopping the sound, especialy if they have bare floorboards - the gaps let all the sound through.

Give them some tubes of silicon to seal the gaps with and see what difference that makes. :)

Gary.

10. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks guys, will let you know how i get along (once i get the bleeding house!)

11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    This reminds me of moving into a (concrete) block of flats decades ago. Our first and only real contact with most of the neighbours was an anonymous note slipped under the door (on day two). Telling us to fit carpets and buy some slippers!
    It hadn't occured to us that impact noise would be a problem before we moved in. :blush:

Noise can really turn neighbours against each other. It really is a form of torture and it is happening everywhere all the time.

Keeping windows closed helps to keep airborne noise in AND out. And NOT shared with the neighbours. The slightest gap and the 'noise' gets through. Double glazed weather-sealed windows are better than leaky old vertical sashes.

Carpets really are a great help on any floor surface and should be made compulsory by law IMHO! As should detached houses! :D

The only real advice I would offer here (apart from the expensive and difficult modifications) is NOT to drop polite hints. Take a gift to your noisy neighbour and try and discuss the problem quietly and sensibly.
    Keep smiling. It reduces the threat to their territorial instincts when you stand at their front door clutching flowers, a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates.

Dropping hints only confuses as they are so easily misread. Ignoring the "perps" in the street is similarly unproductive. They won't know why.

You really have little to lose in these circumstances by stating your problems clearly and objectively. Don't rant or shout. They may be quite unaware of their anti-social behaviour!

Just make sure YOU aren't causing noise problems unnecessarily!

Keep your windows closed when YOU are making the loud noises. And do fit carpets on felt or foam underlay if you live over somebody. Why should your odd taste for bare floorboards inflict pain on those living below? :mad:

Rant over. I'll just put on some Metallica! :devil:

Nimby