best soundcard up to £100?

dts_boy

as title really. using on board sound on my dell and am missing the quality of the creative audigy in my last system. so, have looked at the new xfi range but what else is there that will work haplliy in my dell dimension 9150 media pc?

owain_thomas

maudio do some great soundcards in that price range.

dirge

the maudio 5.1 is a better card than the 7.1. don't be fooled by what looks like a small jump in price for an upgrade in card.

I use the esi [email protected] which is a stereo only card but sounds fantastic.

if your looking at home cinema and have the budget look at a cheaper card that does digital out and plug that straight into your home cinema amp.

dts_boy

well, tbh, i only use this system in my bedroom and have no plans to use it as apart of a home cinema. therefroe, the soundcards primary purpose will be for audio playback of my collection of 100gb of mp3s. i am leaning towards the revolution 5.1 or the audiophile 2496 - what do you guys reckon will best suit me? in the past it was a case of buying the latest creative card but i am guessing this will sound way better?

dirge

they are good cards, but if it's for music playback don't rule out the [email protected] within your budget and im very very happy with mine.

what you using with your current sound card? I've given up on pc speakers and swapped them out for some bookshelf speakers. very happy with the results.

avanzato

I use an X-Fi and it's an excellent sounding card, I had a Hercules Fortissimo 4 that IMHO sounded better but didn't have pop supression on Start up/Shut down. The Audiotrak Prodigy cards are excellent to, if you can find one.

dts_boy

thanks guys, a lot more to comtemplate!
by just stereo i meant surround is of no concern for me so if the card doesn't offer 5.1/6.1 decoding then it wouldn't bother me. im really not up to speed with computers anymore so have a lot of reading up to do it seems - inmy day creative audigy cards were good but i guess thats the wrong option these days:eek: