1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best soundcard for long run? external audigy 2?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mathew, Jun 13, 2004.

1. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I am after a soundcard to do a run from a PC in a different room (gets rid of PC noise both physically and electrically).

I've just ordered a long DVI cable, now I need to finalise my thoughts on the soundcard.

Seems to me external is the way to do it, I can then use a 5m USB cable to it, and a short high quality interconnect to my amplifier.

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Nx 7.1 External Soundcard 7.1 Dolby Digital Ex And DTS-es. 24bit Adv Hd THX Certified.

Thoughts on alternatives?

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is usually done using digital SPDIF (up to 15m) or AES/EBU (50m) cables. You fit the sound card into the PC as usual and have the digital audio feed coming where ever you need.

Long USB cables are unreliable but 5m should work.

I am using 10m SPDIF cable from an RME sound card to Lexicon MC12B processor. The Pc is another room (and another floor) so the listening room is completely free of any equipment the have active cooling.

3. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sounds like a good plan :)

thought I might get too much loss for SPDIF or AES/EBU to work, over the distance

so if this is indeed the case, I have much more choice

thanks, i'll have to look around some more, and have a look at the RME card etc.

4. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I use an RME9632 cable and then a 10 meter CAT5 cable with madnat coaxial connections at either end. You can get much longer runs with CAT5 which is a great advantage for using it.

CaM

5. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    do you know off hand any decent threads on this board, or others, or webpages, summarising the decent cards (available in the UK) and the advantages and disadvantages of each?

or can you just give me a quick summary? :) For example RME do some, and there are others such as MAudio, and others?

co-ax SPDIF does sound like the way forward, my initial thoughts were USB 2 as you know, but that was without reading anything. So, yea, this way looks allot better as it gives a great choice of soundcards at least.

Thanks allot!

6. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check the avsforums as there are several threads which sum up most of the best cards. The RME 9632 sound card is fantastic - but it's also £300.

CaM

7. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't have a surround setup as yet, so I'm not sure what to do wrt audio.

I have a 10m dvi-d cable from cobaltcables.com , which will feed my ae500 from the next room, removing the acoustically and electrically noisy computer from the room.

the gfx card to do this arrives on monday, a 9800 pro.

but atm I just have 2 channel hi-fi. My amp is a roksan kandy integrated. Ideally I want to transport the audio from the pc digitally because of the distance involved, and for electrical isolation from the PC, but then I need to find a reasonable sound processor that can downmix to two channel. Or a soundcard with good downmixing and a 2 channel external DAC next to my amplifier which supports all the formats I might throw at it.

I appreciate high quality audio and video, but it must come in stages, I may purchase in the future, say.. the new 3 channel kandy which is designed to augment the 2 channel kandy for a hybrid system.

Just slightly stuck about what to do for audio in the short term...

I am leaning towards getting a good soundcard with good analogue out, and running cables direct to my amp. I can get it down to 5m if I use an existing hole in the wall that my NTL cable runs through, which would need expanding a bit to get the extra cable(s) thru!

What do you think?

BTW - the onboard audio on my mainboard totally stinks :suicide: Not sure if that was totally predictable or not, but it's definately allot worse than my old board, this one is a couple of months old and is meant to have a decent CODEC (as far as onboard codec's go) onboard. But it hasn't been isolated properly and loads of noise gets onto the analogue out, it's quite terrible. It's an Asus http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4s800d-e-d/overview.htm . I hope the supply to the PCI card slots is not too noisy and this sympton is just a bad layout wrt CODEC placement.