• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Best soundbar for my use? Bose/Sonos/Yamaha YSP 2700?

lighters

Novice Member
I was intending to go 5.1 but girlfriend quickly shot that down. Question - What 5.1 setup for my living room (First time noob)

I can afford anything of a budget upto £1500.
Which soundbar would you choose and why? Is there a noticeable difference for practically paying double the price?

Sonos Soundbar + sub £1280 - Are there better alternatives at this price (Multiroom looks good)
Bose 300 Soundtouch + sub £1080 (This what a friend recommended me for hiphop/movies
Yamah YSP 2700 £650 - Good price and 5.1 - My own pick based on price but will it suit room and be good enough for music?
SAMSUNG HWJ8500R £650 - Probably goes best with curved tv.
Onkyo LS7200 - £850 - Only just seen this, looks good, any others I have missed and should consider?

So far my setup consists of:
Hisense K720 65" HDMI 2.0
Nvidia Shield
SkyQ 2TB
Sony BDP-S7200 4K
Echo dot
UE Boom 2

Room Layout:
Setup.png

TV in window: IMG-20170521-WA0005.jpg
TV in window 2: IMG-20170521-WA0003.jpg
View from TV: DSC_0005.JPG
Sofa Setup: DSC_0008.JPG
View of room from Kitchen door: DSC_0003.JPG
Some quick measurements of room DSC_0009.JPG

Living room is described as:Living Room - 4.91m x 3.62m (16'1" x 11'11")

Main uses for TV in order of priority consist of:
Nvidia Shield (TV)
Sky Q (TV, Movies, Football)
Netflix (On TV app)
Spotify Music subscription - 2 UE Boom2 speakers - Sufficient but lack bass
Youtube Music (TV App/Shield)
Amazon Prime (On TV app)

Last edited:

ST8UDDERZ

Ive got a b&w panorama (2nd version), it still to this day bliws me away. You can add a sub to it but you really dont need to. Quality piece of kit.

ST8UDDERZ

There is a way around that
IMG_2599.jpg

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Layout - 'corner' mounting plus your seating will lend itself to having a Stereo rather than 5.1 setup.

TV - does it have enough HDMI Inputs for all of your devices?

TV - does it have an Optical Output?

Multi-room - are you planning to extend the music system to other Zones?

Joe

lighters

Novice Member
Layout - 'corner' mounting plus your seating will lend itself to having a Stereo rather than 5.1 setup.

TV - does it have enough HDMI Inputs for all of your devices? - Yes, 4 (2.0) only howeveer

TV - does it have an Optical Output? - Yes

Multi-room - are you planning to extend the music system to other Zones? - It would be nice so yes. Already have 2 UE booms that I wish I had multiroom for. They work together but cant add anything else to them :(

I also have 3 audio casts I am yet to use

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI - ignore Version numbers as they mean nothing as the various 'Features' covered by the revision numbers are not mandatory, instead ensure each HDMI Input/Output socket supports the Features you require.

Optical Out - will be ideal as you then have the option of a Soundbar which lacks HDMI Inputs such as the SONOS PLAYBAR.

UE Boom - have seen them at various Trade Shows but haven't tried integrating them into a home or system.

SONOS - is still our preferred multi-zone music system and the PLAYBAR whilst lacking some features found on the likes of Yamaha (MusicCast) and Denon/Marantz (HeoS) kit sounds great and looks like it will fit on your TV stand.

Joe

ThePaps

Novice Member
Sonos set up would be nice and straight forward. Would your TV fit on top of a Playbase? You could maybe get away with a couple of Play:1s for rears if you can stretch your budget a little further.

lighters

Novice Member
I still cant make my mind up between the
Yamaha
Sonos
Bose

I have managed to convince the g/f to get 5.1 so will probably look at that.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom