1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best sound setting for Freeview TV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mattyboy_W, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone tell me what sound setting they recommend for normal TV. My amplifier (Pioneer 1014) on auto surround setting when using the Freeview TV switches to Stereo. There are then a number of different manual settings I can use e.g. Dolby Pro I & II Movie, Dolby Pro II Music, Neo 6 Cinema etc. etc. Which is the best setting for general use or is this personal preference ? I assume that my amplifier is correct in defaulting to Stereo and that there are no broadcasts that are Dolby Digital.

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    There's no Dolby Digital output from Freeview. IIRC only Sky+ offers it for selected programs on selected premium channels. Your reciever won't be able to detect the format from a stereo signal hence why it's defaulting to Stereo. The most suitable surround formats to use are Dolby ProLogic II Movie or DTS neo:6 Cinema - I tend to use ProLogic II for most TV watching. Programs encoded in Dolby Surround (eg most big American series) will sound fine via ProLogic II Movie, I tend to find there are wierd dropouts and rear effects occaisionally when listening to a normal stereo signal through ProLogic II.

As usual - try it and see what you prefer.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    I use DPL2 for all my TV viewing, but as stated above this is personal taste and not 'the right way'! I just prefer it to DTS Neo6.

Mark.