Question best sound bar for £200

Pizzalover1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
got a friend who just bought a lg B6 and he's looking for a sound bar just to improve the tv sound. he would like to spend anything upto £200

Possibly in the same boat as I'm getting a 55C6 and having tested the TV in the shop the sound is adequate but lacks treble clarity/fidelity (whatever you call it!). Especially compared to my Samsung HU7500 which has excellent sound for a flat panel (and perhaps the best clarity I've heard) due to the hidden front firing tweeter speakers (plus rear subs). With a stand alone sub on optical the sound is fine for me (don't want big cinema sound setup).

Why SAMSUNG dropped this in newer TVs I've no idea as the direction of a speaker makes a MASSIVE difference to the sound, down or rear firing just don't sound right.

I've just tried a CANTON DM55 (highly rated on What HIFI etc), and whilst it sounded great in the shop (warm sound and not boomy) I brought it home today and had it running off my Samsung TV to compare with that first. Obviously the bass is great from it as it is a dedicated soundbase with subs, but the stereo separation and clarity is not a patch on the samsung. Sounds like the sound is coming from one spot. It would be better designed if they cut the corners of the soundbase so the speakers firing out at 45degrees. Stuff like this makes a difference.

You also instantly notice the fact the sound isn't coming from the TV even if it's just 1ft below it. I was flipping from one audio to the other with the mutes (since optical is live all the time it's an instant change so makes a good comparison or you can have both running at the same time...which sounded excellent!!). But as the LG lacks the crisp top end of the Samsung I don't think the LG and DM55 would work together as well as this.

In the shop (JL) there was a Sony XT2 soundbase at £199 and to me the sound wasn't as a nice (a bit harsh but that is usual IMO for Sony).

For a little more you can get the Samsung HW-K550/551 (about £30 over budget)

One of the benefits I found with this compared to other soundbars is it's 3.1 as opposed to 2.1 so has a dedicated centre channel for speech. I also find it has a decently wide soundstage.

Samsung HW-K550 Soundbar Review

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom