Best solution to capture live broadcasts in SD?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by w4tt4n4b3, Feb 9, 2009.

1. w4tt4n4b3

w4tt4n4b3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the dilemma whether going for SKY HD or SD package. My criterion is in which case I can capture a live broadcast in better quality. Some say that to capture HD is nearly impossible now that new SKY hd boxes do not have output components and there is copyright protection system disabling the HDMI from sending data to a recorder...
    I read that using FloppyDTV S2 with a Dragon t.rex cam module can make it happen (record live hd material in your pc).

If I go the SD route and buy the simple package with the Sky box (not the pvr) what is the best way to capture while watching a programme?
    Tv tuners are considered to produce lesser quality than TV capture cards, right?
    I'd better get a capture card or record straight to a dvd?I am talking recording it straight while watching the programme for the first time.

If capture card is the better solution between the two (dvd-r) which model and brand would you recommend and what inputs should my GPU/pc should have to get the best result?

And something else, I heard that if you have SKy hd box and you record in SD quality, the SD quality you get is better than if you had the SD Sky package.

Is it possible with no output components to record the hd programmes in SD quality using SKy HD box? What is the best way?

Sorry for the too many questions but I've been searching for over a week and I can not reach a decision between SKY SD package and HD. And as I said in the beginning capture quality is the main criterion. I'd like to be able to get a 720x576 resolution at least...

Thank you...

Some solutions I found to record in SD using Sky (no pvr) box
    1. Dazzle DVD Recorder
    2. Pinnacle Video Transfer
    3. Cielplus Card
    4. FloppyDTV S2 (needs Dragon T.rex cam module)
    5. Pinnacle Studio MovieBoard PCI Capture Card
    Please comment taking into consideration that we want the best possible quality.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    I'm not too sure why you are so interested in capturing 'live' with both Sky+ and Sky+HD, the recorded playback and 'live' playback are the same quality. What you actually record on the hard disc is the raw bitstream, this is only decoded at playback so is exactly the same quality as the 'live' decoded stream.

Just record what you want and then archive it off the box at your convenience. Usually thru scart to a DVD recorder.

3. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    The Sky HD box will let you capture either live or delayed via the PVR, in SD from the SCART output. This will work for HD and SD channels and programmes.

Reports from users who had the HD box before an HD display report that HD channels were of a higher quality than the SD channels, even when viewed in SD (which makes sense as the bandwidth is higher)

Why is it so important to capture live? (very curious about that)

The sky PVR's all have (limited) functions to record to DVD etc at a later date. The quality is the identical between doing it live and using the PVR.

4. zappo

zappo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I had not heard that Sky had burstadised the Sky HD box from outputting HDMI, but if it were true it would be yet another reason for me to not bother with HD.

It bugs me that Sky advertise the SKY+HD as having a greater capacity but not mentioning it uses four times as much disk space.

The HD TV's continue to improve every six months and the prices keep coming down. So I will wait until there are more compelling circumstances. Even if my TV breaks down I can pick up some great SD TV's at our local recycling centre.

HD tv's seem to be much less reliable than SD anyway, I know that I would have regretted buying one on the two occasions when I considered it in the past.

The Sky Magazine has been turned into one huge SkyHD advert to the point where it has become unreadable. Every article mentions HD about 400 million times. Sky cut back to bi-monthy publication (on the grounds of killing less paper) but then went back to monthly because they realised that they would no longer be able to claim the biggest readership. Considering the purpose of the magazine, it is daft that it would not even print the day when the new Lost series would start. After this months Kwap edition the rest are going straight in the bin (hope the advertisers are listening).

I won't even consider SkyHD until they stop charging £10 a month extra for the same programmes on SD channels. It is nonsense and just another way of Sky ripping people off. As it is I am going to drop movies soon.

I imagine that the reason you want live output to a PC is for some kind of streaming via the Internet. I would not do this as it is very easy to trace you and you can now indemnify the lost of revenue to Sky as well as face a jail term.

For me the SD solution makes the most sense and if you are new to Sky then PM me and I can get you £50 of M&S vouchers for joining Sky.

I archive some SKY Plus SD stuff to my DVD recorder hard disk and it seems to have a better quality than using the Freeview. That is about all I can tell you as I do not have SkyHD.

QUOTE=w4tt4n4b3;8814591]I am in the dilemma whether going for SKY HD or SD package. My criterion is in which case I can capture a live broadcast in better quality. Some say that to capture HD is nearly impossible now that new SKY hd boxes do not have output components and there is copyright protection system disabling the HDMI from sending data to a recorder...
    I read that using FloppyDTV S2 with a Dragon t.rex cam module can make it happen (record live hd material in your pc).

If I go the SD route and buy the simple package with the Sky box (not the pvr) what is the best way to capture while watching a programme?
    Tv tuners are considered to produce lesser quality than TV capture cards, right?
    I'd better get a capture card or record straight to a dvd?I am talking recording it straight while watching the programme for the first time.

If capture card is the better solution between the two (dvd-r) which model and brand would you recommend and what inputs should my GPU/pc should have to get the best result?

And something else, I heard that if you have SKy hd box and you record in SD quality, the SD quality you get is better than if you had the SD Sky package.

Is it possible with no output components to record the hd programmes in SD quality using SKy HD box? What is the best way?

Sorry for the too many questions but I've been searching for over a week and I can not reach a decision between SKY SD package and HD. And as I said in the beginning capture quality is the main criterion. I'd like to be able to get a 720x576 resolution at least...

Thank you...

Some solutions I found to record in SD using Sky (no pvr) box
    1. Dazzle DVD Recorder
    2. Pinnacle Video Transfer
    3. Cielplus Card
    4. FloppyDTV S2 (needs Dragon T.rex cam module)
    5. Pinnacle Studio MovieBoard PCI Capture Card
    Please comment taking into consideration that we want the best possible quality.[/QUOTE]

5. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Sky wouldn't have be able to purchase rights for HD programs if HDCP wasn't enabled on HDMI.

Only for HD, and that is falling.

And your source for this extraordinary claim is ?

Surely it would be a ripoff if they didn't charge something extra for HD - as then all the non HD users would be subsidising the real costs of HD for the minority, well 10% of sky viewers who have sky HD.

Now that I do agree with.

6. w4tt4n4b3

w4tt4n4b3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's an old habit of mine to keep records of matches. I have all the F1 races from 1998 season onwards in videotapes until 2007. I started using dvds from that point.
    I am not interested in streaming or anything else.
    The pvr capacity is not big...

but mates in the end if I get the hd package how am I going to capture live in SD?
    And if I go the SD package route what is the best method, dvd-r, Tv capture card?
    Please give me your lights and recommendations.

7. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Why do you have to do it live though ?

If you get a sky+ box or a sky HD box the result will be the same whether you record to DVD live or from the PVR.

The HD box sends SD over rgb SCART.

8. w4tt4n4b3

w4tt4n4b3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to do it live means I do not want to rewatch or replay the whole match to capture it.
    since I will be watching it why not being done with the capture at the same time as well?
    When you record it I know you can not watch anything else, so why not do it at the first time?

But even if I do not capture it live, how am I going to record to dvd-r? Hd boxes have no component output?
    Should I use a Tv capture card or dvd-r connected via SCArt or which other way?

9. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    You don't have to watch it again - just use the Copy function and it will go away and do it.

via SCART - either directly or with a SCART to component converter - personally I'd use a DVD-r.

10. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    You can watch something else whilst recording - but you can't copy something to DVD-r whilst watching something else.

With Sky+ or Sky HD, you can either record 2 things, or watch one and record another at the same time.

11. w4tt4n4b3

w4tt4n4b3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I was saying.
    Could you recommend please a dvd-r model?

12. zappo

zappo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Source of claim is a local TV repair business, typically CRT have lasted people 15 to 20 years. He said that the LCD/Plasma models develop faults much earlier and are rarely economically viable to repair. The local recycling centre says the same thing.

UI understand the capacity issue of HD, it is the price you pay for a better picture, what I have a problem with is Sky advertising it as having a greater capacity.

The subsidising issue is nonsense, the reality is that kit has a MTBF and needs to be replaced. The costs of HD provision kit nominally more and spread over millions of subscribers it would not impact on the price. At some point there will be more HD users than SD and it will cost Sky more to service these legacy users. The subsidy is used on almost every other product, from postage stamps to food distribution. It is just greed on behalf of Sky and as long as they have a monopoly it will continue.

I think the purchase rights issues is nonsense too, Sky is such a big provider, the producers would cave in. I suspect it has more to do with them wanting to tie people in to their service.

The production of Sky boxes would be one of the first things I would do to break the monopoly Sky has, it stifles innovation.

13. w4tt4n4b3

w4tt4n4b3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. w4tt4n4b3

w4tt4n4b3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get a pci tv capture card do I need to have and a tv tuner as well to make it capture?

15. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    I don't know enough about them I'm afraid.

16. zappo

zappo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am also a F1 Fan and Sky+ makes it much easier, it records the program early if it I am not able to stay up till 4am. Even on local races I start watching about 1 hour later, then I just skip the 3 minute ad breaks.

I archive to a Panasonic DVD recorder, it is a multiformat model, so I use DVD-R to make a quick and simple archive, DVD-RW for temp recordings and DVD-RAM if I want to edit it later. DVD-Ram is very useful as you can copy back to the hard disk at 4x speed. I use this to archive music videos and then copy back to make a DVD-R compilation for a party.

I would look at Panasonic and Sony DVD recorder models, look on these forums.

What I WOULD use a PC for is archiving home videos because the domestic DVD recorders compress depending on whether you select EP, LP, SP and XP.

You can archive those F1 videos to DVD, you can record at two different speeds, a master copy in XP or SP which you store on DVD-RAM and a working copy in EP.

17. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Check out this part of the forums

As for zappo and gasdad , enough

18. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    To make life easier it is permitted to use live links on here (unlike some other forums)
    So this is OK
    Studio MovieBoard Ultimate version 12

and

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...ideo/Studio+Family/Instant+Video+Recorder.htm ?