Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best solution for upgrading, comments pls.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by MrBroon, Jan 20, 2004.

1. MrBroon

MrBroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've currently got a 28" 4:3 Sony unit, circa 1994, it's great but is finally starting to show it's age.

I'm looking for an upgrade but I'm confused by all the choice. However I've done some research and know what I would like out of the available choices in most sectors but would like some other opinions before I make my choice.

I currently run Sky+, Sony DAVS800 DVD and the occasional XBox signal through my Sony tv, all through Scart. I sit around 8 - 10ft from the screen.

I am looking at either

1) A 32" Widescreen tv, my choice - Panasonic TX32PD30

2) A 30 - 32" LCD tv, no choice made yet

3) A 37" Plasma, my choice - Panasonic TH37PA20B

4) A 42" Plasma, my choice - Panasonic TH42PA20B

I'm looking for the best price/performance. Is Plasma worth if for what I want? Is LCD too new? Am I best just upgrading my CRT for my needs.

I would also be looking for your comments on the best deals on these options. JL is obviously the way to go for the warranty, but I have had trouble with their price matching before.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond, after lurking here for 2 -3 days it's obvious you guys know your stuff and I would appreciate your comments on the above.

Cheers.

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My two pence worth:

32" CRT's are very big and very heavy - it will take up a lot of room. Also the actual viewable screen size is proably less than 32" (whereas most LCD/plasma's the stated size is (at least pretty much) the actual viewable area. However, if size is not an issue or you cannot wall-mount a plasma this may be a sensible option given the costs vs plasma.

Personally I have not yet seen any LCD that comes close to a decent plasma for picture quality (not to say they are not out there, but I have nothing to recommend).

Price difference between 37" and 42" plasmas means that out of these two choices I think the 42" would be the better option. You should have no problems with your viewing distance either (one thing that concerned me before I got mine).

I can't comment on sky/tv quality on a plasma becuase I don't watch any but I have no regrets at all in upgrading from a sony 100hz 32" widescreen CRT to the Panny 42" plasma I have now. I would never go back to a CRT even though a decent CRT can out-do plasmas in some aspects of picture quality. It has also transformed my room as I wall mounted it and put equipment in a corner.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My 2 pence worth.... Do you have digital tv of any sort? Do you mind the DAVS being on when you watch TV? For the price difference of a PA20, you could get a PW6 panny and a Pace twin freeview box, have HDD recording etc from the pace, best picture quality, and future proof your TV, digital connection to the DAVS for sound, and scart connection to the panel, with scart pass through for the DVD. Simple, feature rich and cost effective. No need for analogue TV at all unless you can't get freeview, when the whole idea goes out the window....

PW6 C.£3k inc bracket, pace twin £187, good scart £50 the pair, job done.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I went through pretty much the same list of choices as you.

My personal opinion is that unless space or wall mounting really is a priority for you, in the 30 to 32" range I'd stick with the CRT. I just don't think the price premium is worth it.

But if you want a larger (e.g. 42" screen), then Plasma is the way to go. I watch mine from 8 to 10 feet away and it looks great.

I also nearly went for the PA20, but went for the PW6 instead. With the PW6 you get a physically smaller display (with same size screen - in fact it is about the same physical size as the TH37PA20B), and the PA20 tuner isn't needed if you have sky/freeview, and the built in speaker on the PA20 aren't needed either if you have a AV amp or all-in-1 surround sound system of some sort.

I was put off at first thinking the PW6 would be more complex for the kids to use, but it is just one extra button press to turn on the audio system, which they manage fine. (Ages 9 and 7).

Mark

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    again, if space isn't an issue, then stick with CRT.

For me, space was an issue (or at least an opportunity to get more back), and I'm going for the philips 30pf9975 LCD TV.

This has a viewable area of 75cm, which is pretty much the same as a 32" CRT (around 76cm).

It also has a (IMO) great picture quality with freeview/sky, which is mostly what it will be used for.

I had ummed and ahhed about a 42" plasma, but it'd need to be with no speakers to fit on my narrow chimney breast, and to be easy for the wife to use day in day out, that was a no no.

Plus its only really for normal TV watching. For big screen thrills I have a cheap projector which is great.

Can you list what your needs are?

viewing needs - digital (sky/freeview/cable)? Analog terrestrial? DVDs? How much of each?

How much issue is space vs cost? Do you want built in speakers or can you use a separate system for that for all viewing?

That will help guide your purchase I think.

6. MrBroon

MrBroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to go for the PW6 as I only use scart inputs but once you figure on the price of the stand and scart adapter board (that I think is required) it suddenly becomes expensive, or does it?. Does the PW6 come with scart input as standard? (I need 3 ideally but two would do)

I watch Sky 90% of the time with DVD's and XBox probably 2 - 3 times a week.

On thinking about it 12 months interest free would be sensible, does JL do this or do you have to go to Empire Direct or similar.

Cheers.

7. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    A lot of reatilers offer 1 scart terminal board as standard. Some even throw in a TV stand also.

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Usually the PW6 still ends up being cheaper. You probably only need one SCART board and can use something like a Quintro SCART switch to connect multiple devices. If it isn't bundled in the SCART board costs around £130.

I didn't buy from these gyus (AV Sales), but the come recommended by many on this board, and they have the PW6 with:

FREE desk or wall mount,
    FREE scart terminal board,
    FREE Techlink scart to scart cable, and
    FREE Quintro scart signal switching box
    FREE UK Delivery

Price: £2738.06

http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd6_plasma.html

Mark

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    JL don't do 12months interest free, but they do a store card which currently has 6 months at 0.51% APR.

Empire do a buy now pay 2005 for the PW6

Or sign up for a new credit card with 0% balance transfer or purchases, then switch again in 6 months to get however long you need.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The a-v sales price is of course for a black bezel commercial model. It's a real bargain if that's not a problem to you. Even at 3k, a silver one is still cheaper than a PA20, and likely to be a more flexible long term solution.

11. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    If your prefer the silver model to the black, Direct Digital seem to be the cheapest at £2625 + £70 delivery. (The black is more expensive from them)

Nexnix is cheapest for the black at £2500 including wall mount, but only includes component/s-video boards and no SCART.

Can't comment on the service offered by Direct Digital, but I bought my black one from Nexnix, and they have been excellent.

You don't explain why you only use SCART inputs. If the DAVS800 has component out, I wouls strongly recommend trying this, as I find it gives much better results than SCARt on these screens.

12. MrBroon

MrBroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, looks like there *are* good deals to be had on the PW6, the av-sales guys look top notch, I just need to figure out a CC to use and warranty.

Can someone explain to a newby the difference between the connections and the best to use as I only use scart as it's the easiest.

Cheers.

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Some of the experts can explain in more detail, but the common options are:

1. RGB into the SCART. As long as your sources all support RGB, you will get a good quality picture, and this is an easy option, as the SCART supports automatic aspect switching.

2. Component into the VGA connection: The VGA (which is built in) can be configured for component, with the right cable. If your DVD player supports component output this is generally better picture quality than option 1.

3. Component into the component terminal board. Similar to 2, but you need the extra terminal board. However keeps the VGA free for computer connection.

4. RGB into VGA slot, using a converter: Nobbydog had a recent post on this which reported improved picture quality over the SCART option.

I have my Freeview box connected by RGB SCART, my DVD into the component board, and my PC into the VGA.

You could always start with the SCART, and explore some of these other options later if you aren't satisfied with the picture. The SCART is good - just that some other options may be a bit better.

Mark

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I wish! Regrettably this rarely works, but hey, nobody's perfect! There's an aspect button on the remote if the people all look fat. The usual way if you have component out is the component - VGA with a 3 phono to 15 pin sub-d from here amongst others, and scart to scart for set top box, most stb freeview boxes are set to RGB by default, screen will autosense this. You will need to set widescreen mode though.

15. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thats strange I never found that supplier of cable before before. You're link for the 3 Phono to VGA cable provides an option to buy a 1.5m cable for about £26. I just paid about £65 for the cable I just bought.

I seriously hope the cable from the link here is A LOT less better quality!

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The long ones are not good, but the 1.5m one is fine, well made, good cable. I think there were some probs with early short ones being a bit weedy, but sorted now. Sorry.

17. MrBroon

MrBroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went out to Comet tonight to have a look at the machines on offer.

I saw the 37" Pannasonic Plasma, the Panasonic TX32PD30 and the Panasonic TX36PD30

To be honest the TX32PD30 looked the best (although I was standing 2 feet away!) but I just don't think that I could put up with the depth of the CRT's, I didn't fully appreciate how massive they are.

I've heard some people talking about screen burn on Plasma's is this any worse than modern CRT's as the wife likes to watch the poor souls on QVC bidding on tat, although any reason to get off that channel would be good!

Cheers.

18. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    According to most people, if you have your plasma set up OK, burn in isn't a major problem.

However, we have Nick JR and cbeebies on a lot, and they have solid logos. So I'm going for the safe option and buying an LCD.

These are smaller, but thats not an issue for me. There are a few for around £2k worth looking at.

A philips 30pf9975 (my choice)
    Sharp 30"
    JVC 26" (very nice, and bodes well for the upcoming 32" version)

19. MrBroon

MrBroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been into Comet again and now I've cut it down to the two CRT's :-( so this is slightly off thread but...

I was told today that the 32" and 36" Panasonic CRT's are end of line and that Comet were not getting any more in after orders were filled, the guy then let slip that they may be interested in selling the TV cheaper to get rid of them before the new stock comes in, is this true do you know?

Cheers.