Best solution for music? Replacing AV Receiver.

NoTinNoFizzNoLobster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

I have had a Yamaha RXV-1067 for about 10 years, it has been great but can't handle HDR/4K.

So I need a replacement.

Over the last year or two I have really got back into music listening, due to domestic considerations, I can't have a dedicated stereo system.

My aim is to buy 'something' that will allow me to do pretty much everything. I am currently using Q acoustics 2050i/2020i/2090i/B&W AS2 in 5.1, Although I expect upgrades soon, plus in ceiling Atmos speakers.

Here are my requirements.

Good stereo sound.
2x HDMI outputs (I have a 1080P projector as well as TV).
Network streaming from NAS and Amazon Music.
Phono input is optional as I have a phono stage somewhere.
Must be less than 430mm deep, to fit in the cabinet.

My Current shortlist is

NAD T778. Looks to do everything, Decent design, BlueOS built in, Cooler running Class D amps. The nice design wont really be seen as the amp sits in a closed cupboard (With ventilation) Pushes my budget to the max

Denon 3700X (Or Similar) + Power amp.

It has been a very long time since I looked at any of this, so want a sense check.

Feel free to call me an idiot etc, but looking for some guidance on which way to go. I want to buy new.

Denon 3700X (Or Similar) + Power amp.
I wouldn't recommend the Denons and a power amp for music. A Denon and stereo amp with HT by-pass would certainly work with all the music sources going through the stereo amp which in turn will power the front left and right and do the job of a power amp when the Denon is running. This is the system that I use.

A Denon X4700 and upwards may give you a better one box solution. I say may because I don't know your expectations with music. I use a Denon X6500 and it is in no way anywhere near as good as my Rega stereo amp which drives my fronts.

Thanks for the reply.

I explained myself badly, what I was thinking was to use the sort of arrangement you have described. To be totally honest I don't have a huge set of expectations other than I want a much more 'Hifi' dynamic sound for stereo listening.

I am seriously considering the NAD T778, which seems to be a 'do it all' sort of product. On the pricey side though :)

I have the NAD and the SQ is excellent with both music and movies. However, you say it must be less than 430mm deep and that’s what the NAD is. By the time you plug in some hdmi cables, sub cable, banana plugs etc it ends up taking up more space so factor that in.

When are you planning on upgrading your speakers? If I were you I would upgrade the speakers first, you’ll notice a huge jump in SQ. I’m sure you can find workarounds (ARC, optical) in the short term to get sound to your amp if you need to plug your 4K sources straight into the tv.

I'll be looking to replce speaker LCR nad maybe Sub next year as we are doing some renovation over summer. I really need the amp before that so I can effectively sort cable routings.

Its a shame the world is a mess and shops don't have any stock.

Don't use the analogue inputs and use the ADC it's not great there use pure direct mode

Turntable and tapedeck are connected and sounding pretty decent (not listened to too much though). Reasonably pleased so far. Just need to have. Wrestle with Dirac/menus to bed everything down.

Turntable and tapedeck are connected and sounding pretty decent (not listened to too much though). Reasonably pleased so far. Just need to have. Wrestle with Dirac/menus to bed everything down.

Make sure you use analogue bypass not use ADC conversion

I took the plunge on Saturday and bought a NAD T778. Sounds great, but has some slightly odd design decisions.

Thank you to all that have contributed.
Did it fit in your rack ok in the end up?

If you have any questions or need help with Dirac drop by the owners thread if you haven’t already :smashin:

Did it fit in your rack ok in the end up?

If you have any questions or need help with Dirac drop by the owners thread if you haven’t already :smashin:
It was avery close run thing and required minor modification to the back of the cabinet (Skovby 773). I suspect Dirac is going to be a pretty big learning experience. I will totally be over to the owners thread asking stupid questions about Dirac.

Thanks all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom