Best software to convert 4k UHD HDR movie to 4K SDR?

bstonearch

Novice Member
Hey all, I'm trying to take a ripped 4K UHD movie and convert it to 4k SDR. I have tried numerous programs including StaxRip, Tricycle, FFMPEG and Premiere SDR Conform. I have had partial success with StaxRip and Tricycle, however, I cannot seem to get lossless conversions. My original UHD mkv files are around 80gb but my converted SDR mkv files are around 18gb. This is the case even when using maximum quality settings (which takes 3 days to encode). I've seen ripped and converted movies online that state "Converted from 10 bit HDR to 10 bit SDR using tripple mixed Hable-Reinhard-JJ per scene+frame analysis algorithm". These movies are much closer in size to their original counterparts. Does anybody know what software has the capability convert HDR to SDR with lossless or near lossless quality? Or if you have used one of the programs above successfully, could you please share what settings you use? I've been researching this issue for about a week and I'm stuck. Thanks!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Why do you want to do this?

Can you not disable the HDMI port so it plays it as an SDR file by switching off the "Enhanced" Feature?

Won't you regret doing this when you upgrade to HDR-capable hardware?

I can't help with what you want to achieve, using conversion tools that are designed to compress media won't give you great results though and as you've noticed takes a lot of time/computing power.

bstonearch

Novice Member
I'm working with a custom large panel display (commercial product, one of a kind display that is connected to an array of GPU's) that I'm designing content on. It does not have HDR capabilities. So I figured the "easiest" way to use HDR content with it is to find software capable of converting HDR to SDR.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Good luck with that then. Other than disabling HDR on the HDMI port I'm all out of knowledge to help.

Odd that you mention ripping UHD movies to playback for a commercial display that you're designing content for. I, mistakenly, made the assumption it was to watch 4K UHD movies on.

bstonearch

Novice Member
Good luck with that then. Other than disabling HDR on the HDMI port I'm all out of knowledge to help.

Odd that you mention ripping UHD movies to playback for a commercial display that you're designing content for. I, mistakenly, made the assumption it was to watch 4K UHD movies on.
Thanks, it's more-so proof of concept work to potentially present to clients (movie production studios).

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks, it's more-so proof of concept work to potentially present to clients (movie production studios).

If you have an encoder that has a constant quality mode a setting of 18 is generally considered close to the source material, you can go lower than that but video file size will grow large.

It's very likely possible to do a lossless conversion but I couldn't tell you how, the people who could would be on doom9 forums, try this or this part of the forum.

There was a guy who was making his own HLG HDR conversions of 4K HDR10 content so it plays in SDR and HDR.

D

Deleted member 433786

A slightly different approach but rather than attempt to re encode the movies you could add a device into the chain such as a HDFURY integral 2 or vertex, this has the option to strip the HDR metadata out of the signal leaving you with SDR 10bit rec2020

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom