1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Software to Back Up my CD's at high quality

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr THX, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    HI
    I'm wanting to back up many of my CD collection, putting them onto my HTPC to act as a small music server. I'm wanting to do this with as high quality sound as possible, will end up playing them outputting through SPDIF to the Dac's on my Processor...etc etc

Question is whats the best way to do it and which software should I use ???

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Similar to what I do with my HCPC.....mine has EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and Winamp and bypasses the Windows Kmixer to output CD direct via the SP/DIF on an Audiotrak192 soundcard.

When run through a Perpetual Technologies P1A prior to the AV32R,it does sound very good.

www.exactaudiocopy.de
    www.winamp.com

3. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Monkey's Audio http://www.monkeysaudio.com/ is a lossless compression scheme, so you can uncompress the compressed file and get the same as you started with. There's a Winamp plugin available.

The MAudio Revolution 7.1 has a very good SPDIF and analogue output, without the resampling problems of most other cards.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Avoiding resampling involves using the appropriate plugin to bypass Windows Kmixer,but these are readily available for most decent cards,and if you have any further questions about soundcards etc,Branxx is well worth dropping a line to here,as he has a lot of experience in the high-end PC soundcard field.

5. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers for that - downloaded 'exactaudiocopy' but cant get it to recognise my CD or DVD drive - keeps saying theres no CD in there ??? Which there is .............Will have to explore futher.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very strange...can't think of any reason other than perhaps software revisions?

Does it actually realise there's a drive present?...if not it may well be something like that.....another thing is the increasing number of CD's with either copy protection or enhanced CD content on them,which most copying software will have problems with....have you tried more than one CD,or an old one,certain not to be protected.

7. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    When going throught he configuration wizard the first drive it tries to test is the 'reader' this it chooses as Generic DVD - when I try to get it to do the tests it says Music CD not present ?
    Tried three different CD's and two diffrent DVD drives - doesnt make any difference. To be honest it doesnt even look like its tried to access the drive before it pop's up the error message of EAC couldnt find CD ........etc etc

Alexs2 I'll PM you a screen shot of what I've got on screen see if you have had anything like it ???

Maybe not can't attach image .................

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    By all means,although I wouldn't like to guarantee any kind of help,as mine has worked perfectly,apart from not recognising copy protected CDs.

9. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ripping to MP3 at 320 will lose very little of the quality I reckon and save HDD space. APE is a good format too. Personally, I can't tell the difference between MP3 at 320 and the original so it's fine for me.

10. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like what happened to me some time back when I installed cdr-win. That program needs a particular ASPI driver that is not part of the software. I had to download a aspi dll file and put in in the installed directory before it would work.

i've never used EAC so can't say if that is definitely the problem...it might be.

Robert

11. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used EAC with Monkeys .APE compression and played back using Foobar2K with Kernel streaming, I also tried upsampling to 32 bit 176400khz playback with Foobar (using analogue out). Whichever way I tried, the results were superb.

However, following a recent format I tried to run EAC again and got the exact same error message - "no music cd in drive" - or something like that when trying to setup my drive. This is on a system that has worked perfectly OK prior to a reformat.

I haven't figured out what the problem is yet, if I do I'll let you know. It's well worth persisting with EAC and .APE though, like I said the results are superb.

12. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Mr THX,

I use J River Mediacenter to Rip, organise and play my music collection from my HTPC. You can get a 30 day free trial with the full feature set. I have paid for the full version as I like it that much.

try www.mediajukebox.com/mediacenter

It includes all software to extract audio, and encode in many formats including .APE (which I use) and others. It also gives the option fort ASIO output to bypass kmixer.

Give it a try

Cheers

Rob