Best software for editing true 24p and creating blu-ray discs

shortround

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently downloaded the trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro, but have since discovered that it has a major issue when editing AVCHD footage and then trying to render to AVCHD - it crashes. I believe Sony are aware of this but it seems a fix has not been forthcoming. Also, there seems to be a number of things this software won't do, despite its claims of blu-ray support. For example, there is no option to render at 1080p24 (23.976p), only 1080i60, so any true 24p footage gets totally botched with frame interpolation.

I want to be able to edit AVC files at true 24p and then create properly blu-ray compliant discs (as well as AVCHD discs) without any kind of framerate conversion.

Also, my video camera (Canon HF100 - US model) does 24p, but it stores the data as 60i using 3:2 pulldown, so I need the program to be able to do a proper inverse telecine to get back the full resolution progressive frames before editing. There seems to be no option for this in Sony Vegas, everything seems stuck at 29.970fps, which creates pulldown issues for my 24p footage.

Another thing is that the software should not have a maximum file limit, because I want to create my own 'fan edits' of blu-ray films, so I need to be able to dump a 30 odd gig m2ts file into the program without it throwing a wobbly.

So, can anyone please recommend a video editing program which can do all of the above? My PC is a top spec, so processing power shouldn't be an issue.

Is the Pro (Full) version similarly plagued?
If it is not ( im dont know) You can always create BD or AVCHD folders or indeed ISO files for later burning to a disc
I don't believe the software is " file size limited in that
It would probably not harm to download the Pro version as there cannot be too many titles able to do what you want

Last edited:
Yes, I believe the Pro version has the same problem. I will download the free trial to see what options it has, but I can't see myself paying 500 odd quid for software which is fundamentally broken.

So there are no other programs which do the things I want then?

Not suggesting you actually buy it if its not fit for purpose
I have but dont used Adobe Premire CS4, It and Canopus Edius are the only other mainstream editors of that calibre Im familiar with and as my requirements are much more simple I dont know if they can do what you wish
Further up the " food chain" are Avids costly ( industry standard)titles.
Of course FCP on the Mac may be able but Im not sufficiently familiar with it
Unfortunately Sonys Vegas ( which is ususally rock stable) is otherwise capable
It may be an update patch is on its way but Sony would be loath to make any promises

To be fair Sony has been at the vanguard of AVCHD editing and this just shows how far software is behind hardware. Indeed the camcorders had been around for for 12 months before there was any software to edit them at all.

Last edited:
I have but dont used Adobe Premire CS4, It and Canopus Edius are the only other mainstream editors of that calibre Im familiar with and as my requirements are much more simple I dont know if they can do what you wish

Are you saying that Adobe Premiere CS4 is capable of doing it, or that you're not sure? It's hard to tell whether you mean you're not sure about Adobe or just Canopus Edius.

Thanks.

pinnacle 12 ultimate is very good with BD/AVCHD AND DVD but i have only made them from HDV and 1920/1080 16mbps footage.

Are you saying that Adobe Premiere CS4 is capable of doing it, or that you're not sure? It's hard to tell whether you mean you're not sure about Adobe or just Canopus Edius.

Thanks.

I was reffering to CS4. Ive read a bit about its ability to handle 24p natively , and with pull down methods but I dont have any 24p footage and never had to " have ago " myself

Others I know are Final Cut Pro ( Mac) and Avid Xpress Pro ( but that is not cheap)

Edius Neo ( by Canopus) is worth looking at

Last edited:
If you only allow Vegas to use only ONE thread it doesn't crash. Not ideal I know, but at least it works.

pinnacle 12 ultimate is very good with BD/AVCHD AND DVD but i have only made them from HDV and 1920/1080 16mbps footage.

Thanks. Could you please tell me whether it is possible to select 23.976p as the framerate when rendering 1920x1080?

I downloaded the trial of Sony Vegas Pro, and although the project preferences now give you the option for 23.976p (not available in Movie Studio Platinum Pro), it still doesn't give the option to render in the same format! It's still locked to 60i at 29.97fps. I mean, what's the point in providing the setting when you open a project, if it's not going to let you render the project at the same framerate!?

I think you should look at Premiere CS4
or Edius Neo as a cheaper alternative

I link Edius Neo becuase it is currenly bundles with Panasonics AVCAM camcorders some of which record as 24p
CS4 is costly but
Is this OK? ( see attached)

It would seem that 24p output support is " emerging" in the way you wish especially at the consumer level

Attachments

• screen capture3jpg.jpg
    screen capture3jpg.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 308
Thanks. Could you please tell me whether it is possible to select 23.976p as the framerate when rendering 1920x1080?

I downloaded the trial of Sony Vegas Pro, and although the project preferences now give you the option for 23.976p (not available in Movie Studio Platinum Pro), it still doesn't give the option to render in the same format! It's still locked to 60i at 29.97fps. I mean, what's the point in providing the setting when you open a project, if it's not going to let you render the project at the same framerate!?

12 ultimate is only 25fps i am not sure about pinnacle 14 as i dont have it anymore removed it when installing windows 7, i find 12 the best and i have tried most other softwares.

12 ultimate is only 25fps i am not sure about pinnacle 14 as i dont have it anymore removed it when installing windows 7, i find 12 the best and i have tried most other softwares.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it myself and see what it can do.

I've had a look at Edius, and it does seem to allow 24p projects, but seems to be restricted to stereo, whereas I need 5.1. Maybe I'm just asking too much!

Pinnacle 14 doesn't allow user input over the frame rate at the BD output stage (see attachment) - but it does allow you to set the frame rate for your captured video, and 24p is definitely an option which can be set in the preferences. Whether this is then retained at the output stage I don't know. You could try asking in the Pinnacle User forums - some of the software engineers who wrote the software participate in there.

Attachments

• pinnacle_bd_output.png
    pinnacle_bd_output.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 160
I agree It is worth asking if in reencoding Studio changes the frame rate, or maybe the trick is to deselect the " reeencoding" tab

CS4 is costly but Im guessing not only does it output 24p ( as shown by my screen shot) but will also keep the 5.1 audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom