1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best software for capturing analog video?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, Jan 20, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,746
    Ok folks I've been going round in circles for a few days now trying to get various things working for using my HTPC as a PVR. I've got the PB TV100 card and I've tried Windows movie maker (works but quality not great) and Ulead Videostudio 6 (works but quality not great). I just want to be able to capture stuff off video and Sky+ onto my HD at MPEG2 ideally or even Divx Pro which should keep the space requirements down. I tried Showshifter which I like but doesn't work with the Maudio Revolution for some reason (can't select the linein input for the audio source).
    I'd like to be able to use said software to liase with e.g. digiguide to automatically record stuff if possible, is Showshifter the only option or is there an alternative? If it's not possible to be clever enough to automatically record then what's the best software/encoder for just doing the capturing?

Ta for any help!

Cheers
    Andy

2. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Get a Nebula card for TV. It has the digiguide to use as a PVR and dumps the MPEG2 stream direct to HDD, plus remote control.

Get Sky+ and use that for Sky PVR. You can record two channels at the same time now as well. If you want to archive it, or capture VHS then use a hardware MPEG1/2 encoder such as the Vidac VMagic or Terratec Grabster 200.

Before getting Sky+ I used the Vidac card with its timer s/ware to capture Sky at pre-set times, but with this method you cannot change the channel on Sky from the PC.