1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Software DVD player

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kahless725, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use PowerDVD to play DVD's on my HTPC in to a Sanyo Z3 1270x720 projector.

I have bought the cineplayer decoders in a hope to using zoomplayer and ffdshow but even though I have followed the registry tweaks I cannot get it to play pal disks.

So I was wondering about Theatertek? Is it any good, is it worth the £36 they ask (since i use an optical cable I presume I dont need the built in dd decoders for £56)

Any input would be welcomed, unless you know a way to fix my problem with zoomplayer and the pins error I get :(

Cheers
    Robert.

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    What registry tweak are you trying to use?

TT2 is excellent - the best IMHO. Plays PAL with ffdshow out of the box, and will handle just about any type of file, including DivX, .ts, HiDef, etc.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Playing PAL with FFDSHOW needs a registry hack, TT 2 does this itself for the nVidia codecs but if you're using ZoomPlayer you need to do it manually.

For the Sonic codecs you need this:

Set the HardCodeForPAL value to for NTSC. I use a couple of desktop shortcuts to .REG files with these scripts in, a bit klunky but it works.

If you're using these values and it's still not working I'd not try something else until you figure out what's wrong because there's no guarantee that anything else will work either.

What happens when you try to play PAL? What happens if you try without FFDSHOW?

BTW, you're rgiht about not needing the AA pack for TT if you're using S/PDIF to output the AC3 stream to an external decoder.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Aye TT 2 is a good one but its a perilous difficult path to get the damn thing stable ...its good once you are there though so it is.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agreed about TT2, though some prefer WinDVD's picture, stability-wise I think TT seems okay for most now, though it's still got a rough edge or two if you try to be cute .. and play .TS files for example.

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thats the one I tried. I get the same error if I take ffshow out. I would try TT if you could get a trial version first to prove I will be happy with it, silly policy if you ask me.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    So you're saying ZoomPlayer crashes with a PAL DVD even *without* FFDSHOW, that's weird.

As for the 'no demo' policy, I thinks it's crass too, especially when cracks are not hard to find, but AFAIK it's largely dictated by the codec license. That said, I've never seen anyone complain about not getting a refund if requested.

8. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IS FFDSHOW set up right. For input you need to enable RAW Video (All) I think. This will cause crashed and hanging if not set.

Don't know why this might affect ZP when FFDSHOW is disabled?

9. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah FFDshow is set up for all raw, also the powerdvd encoders work but only in ntsc mode.