1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best small speakers for Sony 1080?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fozziebear39, Jan 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi

Too impatient to wait until finished dedicated home cinema in garage. Until then, using my Sony 1080 in small living room in terraced house. What are the best SMALL speakers to go with it and not upset neighbours. Small room so my Missions look too big as well.

Would the cheaper Pascals be ok? (Small + Silver) and hopefully under £200 as not a permanent solution.

Thanks....

2. ere

ere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the cheapest pascals with my sony 1080 ( had them from my sony htk475 setup) They sound very good IMHO although the Mags slag them off. The neighbours don't complain and you can go upto volume level -25 without distortion. I want to upgrade to the 835's but don't have the money yet. But yes these speakers sound good and are only around £150. PS try the Haunting DTS-ES when you get your speakers. Good bass test.

3. ere

ere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps you will need to purchase a back surround centre speaker. I have the sony ss-v331 as you can not purchase a single speaker for the sa-ve225 package. the ss-v331 cost £29.99 from the "sony centre".

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fozzie, if you like the Mission 'sound' which is almost a marmite level of preference, four M70s and and one M7C1 should be near £200 if you shop around. You could then add a pair of M7DS to give you 7 channels and a sub to finish it off will leave you with a pretty good system you won't need to upgrade for awhile.

5. khalilk

khalilk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are a nice set of stylish small sat speakers with a sub set up. stylish and sounds great too. I have had a play with them , borrowed a freinds set and hooked them up to my SONY STRDB 930 AV unit ...the sound was very good clear, the sub does good work and reproduces the low freq well.

The overall soundstage was nice.

I prefer the sound of the bigger units floor standers myself , i found them as well as other small speakers (not bookshelf) to be a little scewd towards treble.

I use Acoustic energy AE209 for front elft and right , aegis Centre, and mission dipoles for rear left and rear right ! the AE209s produce a good qualilty soundstage from the strdb 930 , music playback from them is great , clear , mid range is well defined , and not too bassy as some of the tannoys i tried, the missons i heard were producing a wooooly bassy ..if there is anything like that..but know lots of poeple how have them and are happy with the missions...

anyways back to the question of small speaker set up...try the sats...if your budgets allows look at the bose speakers too.

i can only say listen for yourself and let your ears guide you !

Oh Sony pascals ...i found them to be too harsh with the treble and at resonable volume levels the plastic housing resonanted with certain freq ! no good ..put me off them altogether ! sorry ..dont meean to offend any one ....just saying as i found them to be !

good luck !

6. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do many of the forum members