1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Small Home cinema speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dali1020, Oct 29, 2005.

1. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I`m looking for the best small speakers for my 5.1 system around £200-£300 mark, any reviews would be helpful.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    when you say small do you mean satellites or just small bookshelfs?

and does that price mean all 5 plus the sub? or just the 5 main speakers and you have a sub or will get on at a later date?

tbh having a good sub is the key to a home cinema system tbh, that and a good centre speaker......but for the price you asking you might find looking second hand or ex-demo would be advisable......

or build up over time, get a pair of floorstanders now, then later on get a centre and rear speakers, then a while after that get a nice fat sub.....so instead of spending £300 on the lot now and getting budget level, you could within a year or two end up with £1,000 worth and be far happier :)

(took me 5 years total to get where i am, built up a budget system first that was 5.0 over 3 years as i wasnt earning a lot at the time, then in the last two years because cash flow was better i've slowly replaced each of the budget pieces of kit every few months and now have a gorgeous 7.1 setup.....patience is the key if you want the best ;-)

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    oh, if you can stretch to more money now, or are happy to pay up £300 now and pay off another few hundred in a year then i can recommend Monitor Audio R45 cubes, 5 of those will be £300, then add on a sub of your choice, either MA or REL, around £3-400 is usually the right amount to get good value, do this at a sevenoaks shop and they do a 12 months interest free credit, just pay up as much as possible on your budget, then i think each month they take £20, then you pay final balance left in 12 months.....its how i got half my stuff, makes it easy....just dont do it if you cant be sure you can pay it off, dont want u to get in debt and blame me...hehe

4. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was thinking of satellites and the sub "Canton, elac or mission" but you have got me thinking about the build over time option now?

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    its worth having a serious think........if you want another option for a long term plan, try this.....

get a pair of bookshelf speakers for the £300, but nice ones from a range thats fairly new.......then, save up enough to get the floorstanders from the same range, probably be looking at £500-600........then save up again for the centre speaker, usually around £200-250......then save up and get a good sub, around £700 is usually a good figure to match what you have......then if you like, add another pair of bookshelf speakers for a 7.1 system eventually.......now your talking proper midrange system rather than entry level midrange ;-)
    thats more or less what i did, except i got the £600 floorstanders first....then built up the rest....

it needs to be a range thats just come out tho, because most speaker ranges get revamped/overtaken by a new range after 2 years, not always, but that would be a fair average in the modern market.....so to keep tonality, you need to get them within that timeframe.....otherwise, if you end up mixing and matching it wont sound so good.....usually anyhow...

but as i say, remember, dont put yourself in more hock than you can afford....lol...i always knew i could pay off my interest free lump sum at the end of the contract without a problem......but its not wise to put your credit at risk just for some hifi....

6. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I have recently purchased the Elac Cinema II package, and am over the moon with it. Centre speaker is superb in it's clarity, and the whole system punches out plenty of bass for such a small set up. I was amazed!! :D :D :D
    I purchased mine from these guys.............

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-2.cfm/Product_ID/2046

This link will show you the Cinema I package at £199.00 but I purchased the Cinema II package for £100.00 more (which was the cheapest I found on the internet)...
    They are now showing "not stocked" on their website but when I rang them I found them very, very helpful over the phone and you never know, they still might have a set of Cinema II's in stock at one of their retail outlets.
    Worth a phone call to find out.

Highly recommended speaker package.
    Rob

7. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Just on the off-chance that you might be interested, I would mention the Jamo A305PDD package:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2189

These have been immensely popular and have been well received for both looks and sound. I just bought a set together with the matching DVD receiver but I will be offloading the speakers when they are delivered next week since I already have the A355PDD package. They are 2 months old, have 9 months warranty and I will be looking for about £130. Thought I'd mention them.