Best Skydigi box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ag00005, Nov 27, 2001.

1. ag00005

ag00005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As someone looking to get become a member of the Sky digital gang:

What is the best Sky digi box, Pace, Grundig, Panasonic or Sony. Do any of them offer significant features over the others ?

Also, do any come with a digital coax output for sound and RGB output ?

thanks in advance

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of the boxes, including Sky+, have digital co-ax outputs. The Sony boxes have optical outputs but are not DD5.1 enabled. The sky+ boxes have optical outputs and are able to select the DD5.1 audio stream.

All the boxes have RGB scart output and all have RGB passthrough capability to allow linking to other RGB sources.

With the current models, there is no noticeable difference in build quality etc between the models, indeed the current Amstrad box is one of the better ones. Unlike the early Amstrad boxes.

The Panasonic box appears to be the most frequently issued box at the moment.

3. ag00005

ag00005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Doubledoom - nice one !

4. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic box must bee one of the fastest menus and is still much faster than even the mighty Sky + box on it's menu listings.
    That's if speed is important. I feel going from the Panasonic31 box to the Sky + will be a let down in the menu speed but the other functions will make up for it... but I want the speed as well!!!!!!!

5. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had Sky Digital installed almost a year ago on 10th December 2000....

The digibox I had then was an Amstrad DRX 100.
    I had constant trouble... Picture break up.... Jurkey movements of moving things in the picture... Complete loss of picture sometimes.... Badly Degraided terrestrial pictures (through the Digibox Modulator)..... and a very Medocre picture quaility (when it was there).

Sky's so called engineers came and went!... came and went!.... for months on end!!....... Dish alignments!!.... this that and the other!!....

Then on 1st September we finally had a replacement....
    A Grundig 200.....
    The Picture quality on my 33" Toshiba was out of this world... Incredible Detail, Colour, and Resolution.......
    However after the engineer left I found there was a whistle on sound on some channels......

Much to my dissapointment another engineer came along with A Panasonic 31, as a replacement...... sure the Panasonic is fast! But the picture quaility is not as good as the Grundig I had!!....
    but its better than the Amstrad!!...

I have seen reports that the Panasonic is the most reliable of them all....
    The others suffer from power supply problems.... & whistles on some channels.... but these are easily cured by fitting a Modification Kit for the power supply problem and by replacing a certain capacitor for the whistle on sound problem.......
    (obtainable from Satcure.)
    I hope this helps any one considering a new Digibox.

Regards to all

JOHN C