1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Sky+ picture into TW-100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cwinson, Feb 12, 2003.

1. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my TW-100 and 9' screen installed just before Christmas and have been extremely impressed with the results, particularly with progressive scan images from my DV27.

At present, I have wired up my Sky+ box through S-Video. The picture is OK, but not great (depending on the programme - thankfully, Corrie looks awful, so my wife watches upstairs :D )

Would I be better off trying :

1) S-Video -> Component converter
    2) RGB -> Component converter
    3) ANOther product/solution

Chris

2. danzor

danzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have the same dilema, and have to say was disapointed with the 'budget' RGB to component switcher that I tried first. S-video to component was even worse. I think it is going to have to be a case of spending a bit more, I'm going to my dealer in the next week or two to check out the alternatives-I'll let you know how it goes

3. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    best idea is a deinterlacer-scaler type product, cheap end...proV...then Iscan pro then HTPC etc..

5. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    We've found so far that the JS Technology SCART RGB -> Component is the best and most reliable solution. If your not happy with the results from one of these then the next stage would be to introduce some sort of video processing, a de-interlacer if your looking for the most cost effective way of improving picture quality or a scaler if you don't mind spending the money.

6. danzor

danzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thread... I was finally inspired enough and today went out and bought an I-scan pro and am blown away by the picture results and flexability. I desperately wanted the CS1 but it was a lot more money and I and my two sons (3 & 6 and already AV nutters) have been able to convince the missus/mum that it only cost £150, after all such an innocent looking black box couldn't be expensive could it? Needless to say we will be waiting by the post box to intercept the credit card bill - but what the hey Sky never looked this good before and Monsters Inc is awsome fed via the I-scan (rather than RF) to the kids (my) telly!

I know it's a lot of cash but really the I-scan is a bargain especially if like me you have a Plasma or older projector.:rolleyes:

7. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your feedback

I have to say, however, that I'm a bit confused :confused: ......

I thought the TW-100 had an in-built Faroudja de-interlacer (and scaler), which is similar in performance to the Silicon Images deinterlacer in the IScan Pro.

Therefore, I can't see how I would get a considerably better picture by feeding S-video (or component) into the IScan and on to the projector via RGBHV, than feeding the same source directly into the projector. The IScan doesn't scale the image, so that has to be done in the projector anyway.

I can see why the the JS Technologies converters would help, particularly the RGS to Component converter, as I would effectively be getting better picture quality from the Sky+ box (Components as opposed to S-Video).

Am I missing something :blush: ?

8. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    danzor - which 'budget' RGB->Component converter did you try out ?

Are you still using it ?

9. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now he tells us :rolleyes:

Yes, I suppose an external de-interlacer\scaler wouldn't help in your case, sorry, I didn't know the spec of the PJ.

10. danzor

danzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Un-named black box, bought locally at a now defunct electronics shack. I suspect it was made in house, it was cheap and nasty and has been chucked. I have not tried the JS Tech recommended by others so can't comment. I have since bought an I-scan which has had the added benefit of improving the image on my ageing Fujitsu Plasma.

11. danzor

danzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not seen a TW100 in action but I have seen the farouja on other PJ's and it is clearly a winner. I agree that it would be a bit of overkill to buy another scaler just for conectivity, it made sense for me a I have an ageing fujitsu plasma which really has benefitted from the I-scan. I suppose the best bet would be to try the JS Tech box recommended by others here, I have no experience of this product so can't comment on it's performance

12. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh - sorry donmc :suicide: . With so many experts out there, it's all too easy and get complacent and assume that everyone automatically knows the spec of all my kit. Will be clearer in future :)

Looks like I'll have to 'dip my toe in the water' and try out the JS Technologies converter box. Will post my findings when it arrives.

Chris

13. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris

I've recently just purchased the RGB -> VGA converetr box from Lektopacks, it's only £49 and gives a definite improvement to Sky pictures, they also do an RGB -> component box for £75.

They do a no quibble returns policy so if they're not up to scratch, send em back.

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=101

Both are made by the same company, may be someone else can comment on the reliability/quality of their other products

http://www.cypress.com.tw/index.html

Tim

14. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim - What display (plasma / PJ) are you using ?

15. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris

A Z1, i understand your pj has to support a horizontl frequency of 15.62 to use it.

Tim