1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Sky + distribution??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Les E, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am thinking of upgrading to Sky + in the next 6 months and as I am having a dedicated HC room built I am will probably have the main hub within this room.

However I need to distribute the signal from the box to my 32" Philips in the Living Room, to a LCD in the bedroom and to an LCD on the kitchen.

I have been looking at several different methods of getting this thru-out the house with liitle to no signal loss. One solution would be to attach a Sky Quad LNB which has 4 distribution outputs from the dish.

This would leave me with one TV to connect as the Sky + box takes 2 lines. This I could do via the coax cable from the box to a magic eye in the kitchen (even though this will be mono, it's only for a kitchen TV!!)

Has anyone had any experience with a quad hub and things I should be aware of. Also, if I connect the Living room TV and the bedroom TV could I still switch channels from the Sky + box?

I was thinking of the Cat 5 option, but I couldn't think of how to distribute the picture signal plus I don't think it's an option as it would be more difficult for an internal ditribution of the cable.

Does anyone know whether it would be cheaper to upgrade to the Sky + box/LNB myself rather than going thru SKY for the equipment and install?? :cool:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Considering the investment in the HC room and the existing hardware I would probably look at having at least three digiboxes (one of them the SKY+) which is really the only way you will get the picture quality the LCD's require to perform anywhere near their best. It will mean getting a multiroom subscription but that normally gives you some discounts on a second digibox or cheaper installation but does mean a permenant phone connection is needed.
    You can as you then say use a TVlink or wireless digisender to feed the final telly though if PQ isn't a major factor although RF is perfectly ok on smaller screens it's not RGB or s-video is it:)

If you use a full RF distribution system then I do believe with the right hardware you can control the primary digibox from another location via the RF cables, same method as the TVLink but with more than one location.

3. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if it's any use but I set up our own distribution system as follows :

Quad LNB - 2 lines to Sky+ and 1 line to Sky box, spare 1 line in case of LNB failure (cables all in loft so all I do is climb in loft and undo one F-connector and swap over to the spare !

Sky+ in cinema room, RBG to plasma (used for most sky viewing), S-Video to projector (used for films), optical digital out to amp, RF2 feed out to sky-compliant distribution box in loft.

Sky in lounge, RGB in to TV

RF distribution box in loft distributes to bedrooms, kitchen, study etc.. RF cable is CT-100 spec. satellite grade coaxial.

Each room with RF distribution is kitted out with a magic eye and sky+ remote.

So we can watch anything recorded on sky+ from any room in house with a TV, and the picture is excellent, even up to about 28" without being too bothered. If guests around, they use the lounge so can watch one thing, while anywhere in the house we can watch something else (and record 2 items !) -- and we don't often need to do that.

I only had to have installers fit the dish and cable into the loft as I had fitted plenty of coax cables down into the appropriate rooms in advance, simply splice the approp. cables with f-connectors and approved wall plates on the room end. You could then buy a second-hand sky+ or sky box to reduce install costs if you wanted. Cost me £60 for top-notch install by local installer (who has done smashing, neat job, or so my neighbours tell me) and I think the distribution bits cost around £100 or so for several magic eyes and the distribution box.

have a look on www.satcure.co.uk, and melksham satellite supplies (I think it was www. uksatellite.co.uk - but prob need to do a google search to find address for them, both very good and have the correct amps and magic eyes, cable etc.

4. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the advice. I am still condidering the best way to go with the distribution due to my home cinema room being downstairs..but hopefully it should give me some ideas of the best way to go. I would like the face plates intalled, but where the signal is coming in presently, it would need a major re-decorating job to channel the cable from the loft...probably wouldn't be in the missus's good books!! :laugh:

Do the loft distribution amplifiers distribute in mono or stereo?

5. Spookyville

Spookyville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this is something I may be looking into if we move house in the new year. want to get things fed into the loft (which will be converted into an office) and then run from there to varius rooms.