Question Best size, quality and viewing angles for <£1000

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Tanly, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Tanly

Tanly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello TV aficionados!

Looking for advice regarding the purchase of a TV for an office in the UK. I gather this may not be the best time to be in the market, what with 2018 models being too new to have dropped significantly in price and retailers running out of 2017 stock but I need to make a purchase fast.

Budget = less than £1000 - ideally around £600
    Size = 49"and above - Ideally 55"
    Requirements = PC monitor (software demonstrations + presentations) for trade shows and office meetings.
    Models investigated = Panasonic 49FX650B (£649) / Samsung UE55MU700 (seems to be out of stock everywhere)

Looking for a display with a good level of brightness and wide viewing angles. Needs to be able to make a decent impression at trade events. Was initially drawn to Samsung for brightness and general impact but the viewing angles seem limited. Is screen burn still an issue what with having presentations looping for long periods of time? I've had IPS panels recommended for overall brightness and wide viewing angles?

General thoughts and recommendations regarding models?

Thank you in advance for any help :)

2. Angelo M

Angelo M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
  4. Tanly

Tanly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for your suggestions!

I did the rounds in Curry's and John Lewis today to see if I could see any of these sets in person. No joy!

Thanks for the heads up, I've narrowed my search to IPS screens only. Consensus in store gravitated towards Sony for this kind of tech? The following models being recommended:

Sony - 55XF8505BU - £949
    Sony - KD55XF8796 - £949
    Sony - KD55XF759 - £799
    Panasonic - TX-55FX700B - £749

The set is going to be on full display at large scale trade events so really needs to make an impact. Perhaps not realistic in the sub £1000 price range?

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
    I think your source material will be of more importance to make a good impact than the TV itself.

The difference between using a TV like the Sony XF85 you mentioned and one of the cheap options I mention will be next to nothing, if at all.

If you want to make an impact you want to focus on delivering your material in HDR and possibly with better technology such as an OLED.

You can't get good viewing angles and the best image quality without going OLED unfortunately.

If you want absolute maximum brightness with HDR material from an IPS display then you won't do better than some of the expensive TVs on your list but I really don't think that is going to be worth it for your application. IPS tech itself will have its shortcomings when displaying HDR material at high brightness, displaying SDR this bright will just make it look awful.

The market for TVs is not the same now as it used to be, more money does not necessarily buy you better picture quality with all source content, mostly with HDR.

6. Tanly

Tanly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks everyone for your help. I'll give my office the options:

Philips 55PUS6262 - £479
    Panasonic TX-55EX580B - £569
    LG 55UK7550 - £749 (Can't find much info online about this one, different name for different markets?)
    Sony - KD55XF759 - £799 (Struggling to confirm if this has an IPS panel?)

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
    I think if this TV is going to be used with text, up close especially you should avoid LGs that use wrgb panels, it's also priced highly for what it is as it's a 2018 model.

The Sony XE70 is VA at 55 and 65".

8. Tanly

Tanly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How about the Panasonic TX58EX700B LED TV? I believe it has an IPS panel? Available for £619 at Peter Tyson.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the LG panels. The TV won't be used up close, just for trade shows, presentations and office TV viewing

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
    No its a VA panel.

The new FX series and last years EX600 (apart from 40") are IPS.

If TV is not up close then like WRGB doesn't matter, you may or may not notice the pixel structure with text, best to try it on an LG to see if you can.

10. Tanly

Tanly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Visited my local Richer Sounds today and they recommended the LG 55UK6400PLF (£579) or the LG 55UK6750PLD (£699). Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these IPS TVs?