Question Best shallow in-wall LCR behind screen for ~£2000?

Excalibrates

Standard Member
A house move means configuring a new cinema room. I want to keep my existing Arcam AVR390 and JVC X7500, but the XTZ Cinemas won't work in the new room due to the configuration; I will have to go in-wall behind an acoustically transparent screen.

The room is 5m x 3.3m, subterra but with doorways in inconvenient places so I can't just build out an end wall. The walls are plasterboarded stud partition over a basement tanking membrane and brick structure, but I think there's only about 2" of depth available in-wall. I can build out some sort of frame around the speakers to give a bit more depth but the basic story is that there isn't much depth available.

I've considered (though not yet auditioned) Paradigm Millenia LP2. I'd like to spend around £1500, will go to £2000 if necessary, and would go higher again if there was a significant uplift in the end result.

I got some really great advice from this forum on my XTZs last time, hoping for a similar outcome this time around. Cheers!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Would something like the XTZ Spirit series work for you? These are on wall but have a slim profile so should fit between the screen and wall. Would give you a similar sound signature to your current speakers hopefully too.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
As depth could be an issue why not take a look at the Monitor Audio MA-IV140 LCR Speaker, This would give you a very shallow depth of around 4" meaning you don't have to take up to much of the room. Performance wise, they're up to Monitor audio's usual standard.

Take a look at the CAD for a better idea

Member 769353

Previously davidf
The room is 5m x 3.3m, subterra but with doorways in inconvenient places so I can't just build out an end wall. The walls are plasterboarded stud partition over a basement tanking membrane and brick structure, but I think there's only about 2" of depth available in-wall. I can build out some sort of frame around the speakers to give a bit more depth but the basic story is that there isn't much depth available.
KEF’s T Series will fit within the existing space you have with no modification, but even the rest of their ranges aren’t very deep - certainly nowhere near as deep as much of the equivalent competition. The problem is that generally, the better the in-wall speakers, the deeper they normally are due to larger magnets etc. All can be used in-ceiling or in-wall

the little audio company / hi-fi and home cinema in Birmingham

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Can you accommodate on wall loudspeakers?

Excalibrates

Standard Member
Thanks all. On-wall speakers are not an option unfortunately (otherwise I'd reuse my XTZ Cinemas), because of the room layout - the doorway is adjacent to the wall the screen will be on so on-walls will block the entry. The screen and in-walls will protrude from the end wall slightly which is already suboptimal, but I could accomodate a 1-2 inch protrusion but not enough for on-walls.

The XTZ Studios are too deep for this application, and the Kef T series look a bit underspecified for the rest of the system.

The Kef Ci3 and Ci4 series look worth investigating, as do the Monitor Audio CP-IW260X and CP-IW460X (or the WSS430 if I am severely constrained on depth as they only need 55mm)

Cheers

Trending threads

Top Bottom