Best Setup For A Sony RDR-HXD860

Towner

Established Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a RDR-HXD860 for an absolute bargain from John Lewis and was wondering the best way to connect it into my system.

Philips 32PF7531
Sky + Box
Sony HXD860

I have no domestic aerial, my only way to receive programs is through the Sky box. Can I connect the Sony to my Sky + so I can record directly to either the Hard Drive or Blank DVD's. Reason I want to do this is that the Sky + is full of kids programs and I want somewhere for mine!!!! The other reason I bought it was to transfer all my Mini DV tapes to DVDR. Also, how do you know what version firmware is installed and can you update it by disc??
Any input appreciated!! Thanks.

I had my 860 connected to my tv by hdmi lead, if you have that on your tv. Then from my vcr socket (sky box) to line 3 on the 860 using scart lead, then connect the tv to the tv socket on the sky box also using a scart lead.

Here is a link to the download schedule for firmware updates:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

Firmware is automatically download from the site if you leave automatic updates set to 'on' on the 860. However I can't find when the downloads are going to be broadcast on the Sony web site, perhaps someone else can help here. I'm not sure if this is a discontinued model and whether you can still get updates?

Hi Miller, Thanks for the advice. My initial mistake was plugging the 860 via scart into the Sky box but not changing the input setting when I wanted to watch Sky through the 860. All sorted now and recording!!
As mentioned I do not have a TV aerial, completely reliant on Sky for my TV so I don't think the 860 will firmware update through the Sky boxes signal??. Thats why was looking for an update that I could apply by disc.
The model is discontinued, replaced by the 870, but at the price it was I could not say no. Cheers.

How much did you get your 860 for. I am in the market for 2 of them. Thanks.

Then from my vcr socket (sky box) to line 3 on the 860 using scart lead

Hi Miller/Towner, you should connect the HXD860 to the TV socket of the Sky box as the VCR socket only outputs composite video, not RGB.

Hi Miller/Towner, you should connect the HXD860 to the TV socket of the Sky box as the VCR socket only outputs composite video, not RGB.

This seems to be an important point - I'm no expert. The reason I connected my 860 to the vcr socket (my reasoning) and the sky tv socket straight to my tv, was so that I could watch Sky indepedant of the 860, so that I could record freeview on my 860 whilst watching Sky. Are you saying I can do this anyway by connecting the 860 to the tv socket?

How much did you get your 860 for. I am in the market for 2 of them. Thanks.

I paid an incredible £49. This was over a mess up on a Panasonic DMR-EX75 which was recently reduced on their website to £49. I am well chuffed!!!! It came with a 2 year warranty also!!!!

This seems to be an important point - I'm no expert. The reason I connected my 860 to the vcr socket (my reasoning) and the sky tv socket straight to my tv, was so that I could watch Sky indepedant of the 860, so that I could record freeview on my 860 whilst watching Sky. Are you saying I can do this anyway by connecting the 860 to the tv socket?

As mentioned I can only receive a TV picture through Sky, so would this make any difference to my picture quality??

I'm no expert :) either but the way mine is set up is:

Sky+ TV Output > HXD860 > TV (all with RGB enabled)

I also have a terrestrial aerial connected to the HXD860 and then on to the TV (not a Freeview model).

With these connections I can still watch Sky whilst recording Freeview on the HXD860. It also means that I get an RGB signal when recording on the HXD860 from Sky.

As mentioned I can only receive a TV picture through Sky, so would this make any difference to my picture quality??

Hi Towner

Yes, recording the RGB signal from the TV output of your Sky box will give you a better quality picture than recording the composite signal from the VCR output.

Looks like I will be rewiring mine tonight!! Will let you know the results!! I quite liked the way I had it at the moment as it displays Sky through the HDMI output.
Does anyone know what the latest firmware is for the 860 and how do you display your current firmware??

Looks like I will be rewiring mine tonight!! Will let you know the results!! I quite liked the way I had it at the moment as it displays Sky through the HDMI output.

You can still use HDMI to connect the HXD860 to your TV so you will still be able to watch Sky that way (at least I think so - I don't have HDMI on my current TV).

Does anyone know what the latest firmware is for the 860 and how do you display your current firmware??

To view your firmware you need to press:

System Menu > Set Up > DTV Settings > Technical Information > Manufacturer Information

Mine is currently on v1.01.10 CE. I think this is the most up to date version.

Thanks K-Spin, will have to try this later when I can remove my wife from the TV!!!

You can still use HDMI to connect the HXD860 to your TV so you will still be able to watch Sky that way (at least I think so - I don't have HDMI on my current TV).

To view your firmware you need to press:

System Menu > Set Up > DTV Settings > Technical Information > Manufacturer Information

Mine is currently on v1.01.10 CE. I think this is the most up to date version.

My firmware is v1.01.07.CE. Can I update via a CDR????? If so where can I download v1.01.10 CE ?? Thanks.

My firmware is v1.01.07.CE. Can I update via a CDR????? If so where can I download v1.01.10 CE ?? Thanks.

Hi Towner,

I'm not aware of updates being available on a CD - the machine is updated via software broadcast over Freeview. Not sure if you are going to be able to pick these up if you don't have a terrestrial aerial.

Might be worth trying Sony's customer services if no-one else knows of an available CD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom