1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Settings on Pioneer 504-HDE for Sky+

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bryce Curdy, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delighted with my new plasma screen. PQ via 868 DVD player and HDMI is superb.

PQ via Sky+ varies from channel to channel but is usually very good. Unfortunately it's at it's worst watching the footie. Can anyone recommend settings for Sky and the football in particular.

2. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm watching the Spurs Arsenal game at this very moment and it looks good to my eyes (or maybe I've just grown accustomed to the footy on a plasma). My one complaint might be that the whites look a bit too white (Persil Whites). I haven't really fiddled with it that much.

My SKY+ box is going into Input 1 on the Media box using a £50 SCART cable supplied by Joe at TMF. The SKY+ settings are

Picture Format: 16:9 (obviously)
    Scart Control: On
    Video Output: RGB
    Contrast: LOW

On the 504HDE, my Picture Settings are

AV Selection: Standard
    Contrast: 26
    Brightness: +1
    Colour: -12
    Tint: Red 1
    Sharpness -2

Pro Adjust Settings
    PureCinema: Standard
    Colour Temp: Mid
    MPEG NR: Mid
    DNR: Mid
    CTI: Off
    DRE: Mid

Colour Management Settings
    R: -2
    Y: 0
    G: -2
    C: 0
    B: -2
    M: -6

Mike

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just using someone elses settings does not particularly help your picture. Their sky box may be different, the screen is a different age, your environment is different. You need a better scaler than the pioneer media box to make any difference to the footy, it's notoriously hard to do right on a 50" plasma.

4. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate that. I was really just looking for a starting point.

How good is the picture with a scaler? And how much of the problem is down to the signal from Sky, and how much is due to football just being technically challenging for large plasmas? If Sky broadcast the football in HD in a couple of years time, do you think that will sort things?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Scalers do make a difference, whether it justifies the cost is another matter, one for you to decide. Especially on your plasma, which is not an ideal starting point for this, it's designed as a TV, not a tinkerers route to AV perfection. HD will help massively, as long as they FILM it in HD as well, not a couple of geezers with a handicam, which is how it seems currently!