1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Settings For The 32WL48

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Nick37, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Nick37

Nick37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Looking for peoples opinions on the best settings for the Tosh 32wl48 for Sky+ ,Dvd, Dvd Recorder can list cables if want to thanks.

2. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In another thread JonStatt mentioned that contrast should be at maximum to use the LCD panels contrast ratio to the maximum.

I have a Toshiba 32WL48.
    My approach to get a good setup is now:

1. Turn up "contrast" to 100%.
    2. Use "brightness" as a gamma control: If the picture looks washed out, turn down the brightness. If the picture is too contrasty -hiding shadown detail- turn the brightness up.
    3. Adjust colour saturation to make skin tones look natural.
    4. Use backlight to adjust the display according to room light conditions.

(I turn off "black stretch", set sharpness to -24, and colour temp to "cool", but your prefs may vary.)

Using this approach you may see a lot of the nastier artifacts from MPEG with Freeview and similar sources. However, DVD looks very good. Turning down brightness hides more of the blockiness in the darker regions.

I have only used this approach a short time, but find that I can control the result better now when I use "brightness" as a gamma setting!

3. Nick37

Nick37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Patrik_f

Thanks for the help.I got the Tosh yesterday & have bin playing around with it.I have all the settings at 45 at the mo with sharpness at -7 colour temp normal back strech off.But i'm looking to buy some more cables as i think these Nikkia ones i brought arnt as good as i hoped.Going to invest in some Ixos XHV601 flat RGB only cables today..cheers.

4. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :START

Hi all,

My local independent hifi/home ent. store lent me their copy of PAL R2 Digital Video Essentials DVD, it even came with the rgb filter paper.

I have the toshiba 32wl48 (which has just developed a column of dead pixels) and a pioneer dv 575. The dvd player has setup options to allow changing of tint, brightness, etc.

I know nothing about calibration and so since getting this tv I have been very keen to try out the different settings posted by Mike246, patrick, nick etc and all have given a different but good pics.

Now that I have this disc I can use some of its tests to figure out what else can be done, but what do i calibrate first? Do I set the dvd player up first by modifying its output settings? If I do this, its based on what the TV is currently set to display. But how do I know whether the tv is calibrated properly? Should I set the tv up first using the DVD..but this is affected by the dvd's own output, which may or may not be correct.

I think about it so much I end up in this continuous loop and eventually shut down due to exhausted resources and just end up putting the disc away!

What should I be looking to do first?

Hope some kind soul can help!

goto START