1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best settings for Pioneer pdp434hde & dv868 via hdmi

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chillo, Apr 3, 2004.

1. chillo

chillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

finally got my plasma last monday, all hooked up with the dv868 and hdmi!
    what can i say? truly awesome! watching 'finding nemo' is like watching it in 3D! the clarity, colours and definition is simply amazing! When the whale swims towards you it just comes right out of the screen! you end up sitting back! wow! mind blowing!:thumbsup: The colours are breathtaking! the iridescent colours on some of the fish is unreal!

Sky&TV was initially a little disappointing after coming from a very good 36" DAB Hitachi 840TV, but this seems to have improved after a some hours of use and is now actually very good.

I have the pdkfs-02 floating stand which is very impressive and extremely well made (it weighs 40kg!) the tuner box mounts behind the screen on the stand itself so reducing visible box count. The only downside is the frankly ridiculous price!

If anyone is thinking about getting this set-up my advice is DO IT!!
    you will not regret it at all!:D

One thing i am curious about is, does anyone have some recommended settings for fine tuning?
    i know this can be influenced by individual taste but it would be a good place to start.
    I have dropped the brightness to -10 and colour to -5
    what settings should i have?
    i'm not sure about the pure cinema etc?

any tips greatly appreciated

Simon

2. chillo

chillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

3. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After running the DVE calibration disc, I got these settings:

Av selection: USER
    Contrast: 26
    Brightness: +5
    Colour: -8
    Tint: 0
    Sharpness: +1

I recommend these settings in the Pro Adjust settings:

Pure Cinema: ADV
    Colortemp: Mid
    MPEG NR: Off
    DNR: Off
    CTI: Off
    DRE: Off

These settings are with the 434 and the 868 running 720p, via HDMI

Hope this helps!

Claus

4. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can i ask if the set up, using the hdmi link, is as good as some people are saying because others are saying that it is no different via component.

5. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I get a sharper picture with more depth and NO noise.
    And better blacks.

C

6. chillo

chillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Claus,

thanks for the settings, i will give them a try!
    Just wondering why you are using 720dpi resolution though?
    isnt dvd resolution about 500 or 600 lines?
    will you only benefit with using 720 or higher when viewing HDTV??

Thanks

Simon

7. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A normal TV can´t handle more than 576 lines. Some new TV´s handle 576p signals. So it´s the TV´s resolution that is the problem. Plasma screens have much higher resolution(like the 434) so they can upscale the picture to a higher resolution. The Pioneer has a resolution og 1280x720, which will give you 720 horisontal lines. And plasmas can run progressive signals, hence 720 progressive lines.
    You also have an option on the 868 that can send out 1080 interlaced signals, but that means that the plasma would have to downscale the signal to the screens highest resolution, which is 720 lines. A good rule is to not run a scaler more than one time. If you send an already upscaled 1080i signal to the screen, the screen will downscale the signal one more time so that the signal fits the plasmas resoultion. that is not good.

Hope this helps!

Claus

8. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a PD434HDE today along with the floating stand & I am so impressed with this tv, DVD is just incredible. SAT is also extremely good.
    This is the best decision I have made in years when it comes to electrical products.
    If any of you are deliberating about this unit, don't waste any more valuable viewing time...... go & get one now :D

BTW: I purchased from my local retailer @12pm all the items delivered to the house by 1pm. That's what I call service & they pricematched Dixons online price.

9. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you change Pure Cinema to ADV setting.
    Mine is not highlighted ??? is it only available if you hook up HDMI equipment & cable ?

Also my EPG option is also not highlighted any ideas anyone ?

10. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ADV setting is not available on PAL sets.

The resolution of the Pio plasmas is ....X 768, so when you scale on DVD player on 720 the picture will again be scaled by the plasma to 768. This can't do much good to the picture quality. I would leave it on 576 and have the plasma scale it up to the native resolution.

Turning off all the noise processing options might result in a noisy picture like in the 433 series. Try to reduce them but don't turn them fully off IMHO...

11. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After running the DVE disc, with HDMI signals I definately mean that the picture looks the best with everything off. Remember that HDMI signals are almost noisefree. And adding anything to the picture just flattens the picture. Less dynamics...

C