• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best set up - simplest & fewest cables

locky123

Just got the Foxsat HDR today and initial set up went well and trying to get used to new layout and remote.

I already have a Panasonic 37" plasma TV, Panasonic DVD-R, Onkyo 605 A/V amp. Previously I had a standard Sky box.

The DVD-R was connected by HDMI to TV and SCART to Sky box, so recorded via EXT link. The DVD-R was connected to the Amp by optical. The Sky box was connected by phono to Amp for audio. The Amp was only really used when playing back DVDs.

There are a mountain of wires behind everything and would like to know if there is a simpler and/or better set up now I have the HDR. Should I pass everything through the Amp?

TV and Amp both have 2 HDMI inputs. Amp has 2 optical inputs.

Do I give up on SCARTs and rely HDMI?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Just got the Foxsat HDR today and initial set up went well and trying to get used to new layout and remote.

I already have a Panasonic 37" plasma TV, Panasonic DVD-R, Onkyo 605 A/V amp. Previously I had a standard Sky box.

The DVD-R was connected by HDMI to TV and SCART to Sky box, so recorded via EXT link. The DVD-R was connected to the Amp by optical. The Sky box was connected by phono to Amp for audio. The Amp was only really used when playing back DVDs.

There are a mountain of wires behind everything and would like to know if there is a simpler and/or better set up now I have the HDR. Should I pass everything through the Amp?

TV and Amp both have 2 HDMI inputs. Amp has 2 optical inputs.

Do I give up on SCARTs and rely HDMI?

Does the amplifier support upscaling from SD inputs to HDMI. If so what SD connection options does it support ? What video outputs does the dvdr have ?

locky123

Sorry not sure what SD means. I dont think the Amp upscales, manual says HDMI and Component Video Upconversion, but there maybe a hidden menu, here's some info I found.

'Along with allowing analog signals to be output over the HDMI output, the TX-SR605 converts standard-definition 480i signals to 480p, a process also known as deinterlacing. This is important because many HDTVs cannot accept a 480i signal via HDMI. On top of this, the TX-SR605 has some hidden functionality that allows you to upscale analog signals to 720p. The details to access the menu are in our Tips & Tricks section, and we'll get to its performance later, but the short answer is that it's best to leave this feature off.'

DVD-R DMR-EX77
Output
Video Out: AV1 / AV2 (21 pin), Video Out (pin jack)
S-Video Out: AV1 (21 pin), S-Video Out (S terminal)
RGB Out: AV1 (21 pin) [PAL]
Component Video Output (Y, PB, PR): Yes

locky123

After further research the Amp does not upscale via HDMI, so it will just pass through. It has x2 HDMI inputs and one output.

At this stage I think I will try and connect the HDR and DVD-R to the Amp by HDMI and then Amp to TV by HDMI. With optical cables to Amp from HDR and DVD-R. But I need to get one more optical and HDMI cable to do this. I dont belive in spending lots on cables so will hunt on eBay. Is the only thing to look for with HDMI is that it is 1.3 compliant?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Sorry not sure what SD means. I dont think the Amp upscales, manual says HDMI and Component Video Upconversion, but there maybe a hidden menu, here's some info I found.

'Along with allowing analog signals to be output over the HDMI output, the TX-SR605 converts standard-definition 480i signals to 480p, a process also known as deinterlacing. This is important because many HDTVs cannot accept a 480i signal via HDMI. On top of this, the TX-SR605 has some hidden functionality that allows you to upscale analog signals to 720p. The details to access the menu are in our Tips & Tricks section, and we'll get to its performance later, but the short answer is that it's best to leave this feature off.'

DVD-R DMR-EX77
Output
Video Out: AV1 / AV2 (21 pin), Video Out (pin jack)
S-Video Out: AV1 (21 pin), S-Video Out (S terminal)
RGB Out: AV1 (21 pin) [PAL]
Component Video Output (Y, PB, PR): Yes

SD - Standard Definition.

Right it definetely sounds as if the amp supports analog to digital conversion which is necessary to convert an analogue input to HDMI if not actually upscaling the signal. From the point of view of cabling the simplest is a single hdmi cable from the amp to the TV with the amp switching which input is sent to to the TV by HDMI. Without a detailed look at the amp manual it's hard to give further advice. For the dvdr I would use component out and of course use the hdmi inputs for the pvr. Most amps allow you to assign digital audio inputs to a specific video input allowing you to use the digital spdif inputs. In practice this means that it's easiest to use the amp for all sound so you need a audio connection from the TV to the amp to use it's internal tuner.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom