1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Set up for recording Sky TV onto PC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by astern, Sep 20, 2003.

1. astern

astern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best way of getting a hgh quality signal from a Sky Digital box and recording it onto PC. Currently I am using a Win TV card and RF link and an old Pace Digibox.

Whats the best set up for this?

2. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For the least money, assuming the Pace does not have s-video out, use a SCART to 3 X Phono, and plug them into the composite video and audio on your Win TV card. If you do have s-video then use that instead.
    Video quality league table:
    1) Component (RGB or PbCrY)
    2) s-video
    3) composite
    4) RF

If you want to improve on the WinTV, then it is a matter of the more you spend, the better the quality of capture. I use a rgb to s-video converter from www.rgbtosvideo.com on my Sky box, and run it into a Vidac VMagic hardware MPEG2 encoder card. This way you capture direct to DVD quality without further rendering, and takes a few minutes to set up an authoring app to create a finished DVD.

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    a) The ideal would be a way of pulling direct digital recordings off a Sky+ box. This would give you bit-perfect video, assuming Sky+ records MPEG2 in a DVD-Video compatible transport stream, which I'd bet it does.

b) Or an SDI video output mod on a Sky set-top box in to the PC via SDI silk or holo3dgraph. This is the decoded MPEG2 video, but hasn't been converted to analog and back.

I'm not sure if either have been achieved yet.

d) Assuming an analog decode and conversion is acceptable, how about a TiVo box, which records RGB component off SCART and is very nice on Best, quite good on High quality settings.

Apparently there's a Tivo web add-on which allows pulling the MPEG2 encoded programs from Now Showing.

Not that I've done it to my TiVo box though.

I also would assume you could just get a s/h TiVo and use it without a subscription if you were just using it as a digital VCR.

e) RGB to S-video and a pb tv-100/Flyview2000 card. Both of which will be improvements.

cheers,
    Rob.
    cheers,
    Rob.

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've taken the TiVo route here, I bought a S/H TiVo on the forum and I'm adding a turbonet card + 2 X 120gb drives.

Sky arrives tomorrow so I'll know how practical this all is ina few days.

Mark.

5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The problem with Sky is although the transmission IS MPEG2, it is scrambled. The Sky+ box writes the MPEG2 stream direct to HDD, but it is unscrambled when you play it back, as if the MPEG2 stream was coming from the dish.

If you pull the HDD out of a Sky+ box, the files are unreadable, so you are forced to go to the decode to analogue - > recode to digital route, even with a Tivo.