Best set up for Onyko 606?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by xraystu, Jan 31, 2009.

1. xraystu

xraystu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have just purchased an Onkyo 606 and in the process of buying a 1080p projector (not sure which one yet!). Just wanted to know the best setup for this as I also have the following hardware.

Flat screen TV (no HDMI, component)
    V+ Box (HDMI + component)
    PS3 (HDMI)
    Projector (HDMI)
    Onkyo 606

My dilemma is that I want to run the V+ Box to 2 sources - TV (normal TV watching) and Projector (only for footie not normal TV watching!) Can I hook up the V+ with both HDMI (for projector) and component and optical (for TV) and output through the amp - obviously not at the same time! I know I will have an issue of changing from HDMI to HiDef Component in the V+ setup - but is the overall setup possible or is there an easier way of doing it?

Any ideas really appreciated.

2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Yes you can do that, although you won't need the optical cable, as if you assign the HDMI and Component inputs of V+ to the same selection (TV/CBL) then when you select it,it will output video from both the component monitor output and the HDMImonitor output at the sametime, and use the audio from HDMI.

The problem you will have is you won't be able to watch your PS3 on the TV, as the 606 will not downconvert the HDMI input to component output.

3. xraystu

xraystu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for that.

That's fine about the PS3 - sort of thought that.

As I understand it then, you can use the HDMI for sound for both and then use either the component or HDMI feed for picture, but does it throw a spanner in the works about the V+ box settings. When the V+ detects an HDMI signal, I swap to that in its menu - so it will give me sound and picture through HDMI. But if I've got the component set up on the back of the V+, do you still have to set it to HIDEF component in the V+ menu, if you have to do it like that will the signal still be sent to the hdmi to get sound?

Hope that makes sense!

Again, thanks for sharing the knowledge!

4. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Ah! Not that familiar with the V+ didn't realise you had to manually change between HDMI and Component output. In that case you may well need the optical. Again if you assign that to the same selection as the HDMI input, it should work fine.