Best Set up - AV359

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Scottttyyyy, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Scottttyyyy

Scottttyyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my first AV receiver, and spent a good few hours dismantling everything and re-cabling to include the receiver. So many connections is baffling me, and im hoping someone can maybe suggest the best set up.

The system has 2 optical inputs and 1 coaxial input, along with several audio inputs and 3 component inputs/1 output. Now I have Virgin +, currently connected up with HDMI, Xbox 360 via component, DVD recorder via scart. My plan is to connect all three via component in to the av receiver, to try reduce the amount of cables. Id then have optical coming from the DVD recorder and XBOX 360, and purchase an optical to coaxial converter and run virgin+ through this (none of my items have coaxial at present.

Is this the best way to hook it all up? Losing the hdmi i doubt would be a major problem due to the severe lack of hd on Virgin, and Im presuming a scart lead from Virgin+ to DVD recorder for recording programmes would be all thats required on top of above.

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    I would leave the Virgin connection as HDMI and run a fibre to the AV amp.
    DVD recorder from what you are saying has component out, I would just make sure it is set to progressive out and the aspect of the DVD recorder made 16:9. Connect 5.1 leads to the AV amp from the Xbox and DVD recorder.
    At least one of your three external components will need a co-ax output for 5.1.
    The DVD recorder needs the audio set to bitstream out to get 5.1

3. Scottttyyyy

Scottttyyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response. Could you confirm what you mean by 5.1 leads? The only option i have is optical out or standard audio out, which would be the red and white leads.....im a newbie at this :)

thanks again