best service for selling old DVDs

TimmyBee86

Novice Member
Hi,

I was going to music magpie ~400 DVDs i've got lying around. Nothing good, just the kind of junk that you pick up over the years and now i've moved house and seems like a good time to get rid of any i'm unlikely to want to re-watch.
Anyway, i then read somewhere that Music Magpie starts de-valuing your DVDs depending on how many you're selling them, so that seems a bit rubbish. Does anyone know of any similar service that might get me better value? i'm not looking to get multiple pounds per DVD, but i don't want to be ripped off

duffbeerdrinker

Distinguished Member
Try WeBuyBooks - I always find there offers slightly higher than Music Magpie.

Cherrywood

If you look on CEX you can see how much they buy for, even if it's just for sample of films... don't be surprised if a lot are only 1p

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
The time to sell the vast majority of DVD's was a long way back. There will be a few still worth selling but not too many I reckon.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Don't expect more than about 10p each from a lot of these places. DVDs are pretty much worthless nowadays.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
I'm steadily giving away my old DVD box sets to various charity shops. Clearing up the space for blu-rays.

AVFAndy

Got about 30 region 1 dvds,cant get rid of them anywhere :(
you should try Ziffit.

i've sold region 1 dvds to them in the past. you can get surprisingly good prices for some of them ... £4 for a harry potter, £5 for toys (robin williams). quite a few for between £1-2. and then the remainder for 10,20,30p etc. download their mobile app and see what you can get.

gibbsy

NSPCC
RSPCA
RNLI
Marie Curie
Guide Dogs for the Blind
The list goes on, my favourite being Ty Hafan Childrens' Hospice.

I regulary give my purchase failures to them, including blu ray.

Paul Moran

WeBuyBooks has a 10% extra offer this weekend:
Happy Easter!

To celebrate we are offering 10% extra on all trades!

use code

What Are You Waiting For?

Hurry! Offer Ends Monday at 11:59!

Expires 17/04/17 11.59pm

Multiple Uses Per Customer
I usually keep three browser windows open when checking prices: musicMagpie, WeBuyBooks & amazon. Last time I checked, my DVDs weren't worth enough to offset the chore of packing them up etc.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
It's probably more hassle than it's worth to sell, if I had a load of dvds now I'd probably give them to a charity shop or similar. The return just isn't worth the time of boxing them up and shipping them off.

It's funny when you see people trying to flog old dvds at a car boot sale for more than £1 each, sometimes as much as £3 each. No chance!

hippo99

Distinguished Member
It's probably more hassle than it's worth to sell, if I had a load of dvds now I'd probably give them to a charity shop or similar. The return just isn't worth the time of boxing them up and shipping them off.
Not to mention that all of these companies have a clause in their T&C saying if a DVD is scratched (their assessment), they won't pay you for it & they won't return it to you either. This is open to abuse on their end, where they could basically say x number of items are scratched & keep them without paying you anything for them.

Better off just doing your good deed for the day & donating to a charity :)

Not to mention that all of these companies have a clause in their T&C saying if a DVD is scratched (their assessment), they won't pay you for it & they won't return it to you either. This is open to abuse on their end, where they could basically say x number of items are scratched & keep them without paying you anything for them.

Better off just doing your good deed for the day & donating to a charity :)
Wow is that even legal? :eek:

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Dunno, but it's been mentioned by members in a couple of other threads. They weren't happy that some discs (which they knew weren't scratched) were being deducted from the total value as being scratched, & the company were effectively keeping the 'scratched' discs as well for free.

Paul Moran

To be fair to MM and WBB, I haven't found "rejection without cause" to be much of a problem.

I've sold 582 DVDs to musicMagpie, and they only rejected 3 of them, for condition (cost £3.55). They've also been willing to reconsider: they intially rejected 1 as a promo copy (the DVD details and bar code were on a separate card, which I had enclosed) and 1 as not sent, but refunded me when I complained.

I've sold 83 DVDs to WeBuyBooks, with no rejections.

weaponx031277

It's funny when you see people trying to flog old dvds at a car boot sale for more than £1 each, sometimes as much as £3 each. No chance!
Id say the carboot is the best option to get rid of them and make some decent cash. Sell them at £1 or 50p each or bundle them up. The ones I go to theres several dealers who will end up buying bags of dvds. Every time ive done a sale ive got rid of at least 75% of the dvds ive taken. Yes its an early start and hassle but you will make more than what firms like Music Magpie or CEX will offer you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom