Best sealed headphones for under 150£

Arock

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi to all.

I'm looking for new sealed full size headphones to replace my Sennheiser HD 202's. I'm using these with my laptop and iPod so I'm looking for headphones that don't need additional amplification. And they must be sealed, beacuse I use them in noisy places/ on the go, so open or semi-open headphones do not work for me.

I think the HD 202's are a ok pair of budjet headphones but I feel the need for something more in sound quality over all.

I was looking at the AKG A 272 HD's at first but when I saw their frequency responce graph I started to doubt their performance on the low frequencies.

My music library on the go consists of some albums at 320Kbps but most are Apple Lossless encoded.

What good sealed headphones are there for under 150£ that I should look into, that also pack some punch in the low frequency range?:lease:

The Denon AH-D1001's have apparently been reviewed as better than the AKG 701's at Head-fi.org. They are a closed design and cost about 130 euros so I will definitely take a closer look at them.

Thought about IEMs?

I have closed Audio-Technica ESW9's (incidentally at the top of your budget :devil:), and drive them straight headphone out of my new iPod 4G Nano. Have to turn to 8/10 to drown out traffic to a sufficient degree as a pedestrian to give an indication

I also have Westone UM2s IEMs but have become lazy about using them. That and the AT's have vastly superior SQ

If you want IEMs then I've just had my replacement pair of Atrio M5s back and I'd forgotten just how good they sound. They are easy to drive from an Ipod or laptop and I use them on the tube with < half volume.

I've got a pair of Sennheiser CX300's that I use when work out etc. so I'm looking for full side closed back headphones this time.

Have to check out if I can get my hands on a pair of Audio Technica ESW9's to audition :)

Sennheiser HD25
Excellent sound quality
Good isolation
Light weight
Tough as !

Thought about IEMs?

I have closed Audio-Technica ESW9's (incidentally at the top of your budget :devil:), and drive them straight headphone out of my new iPod 4G Nano. Have to turn to 8/10 to drown out traffic to a sufficient degree as a pedestrian to give an indication

I also have Westone UM2s IEMs but have become lazy about using them. That and the AT's have vastly superior SQ

Have similar requirements to the OP and after ruling out grados/alesandro based on sound leakage the ESW9's seems to be what I was looking for. I'm struggling to find them online though. Any chance you can point me at a shop / online store that stocks them?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom