1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by clancol, Sep 10, 2003.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Whats the best screen to use on for a pte 300. the budget is about £300. i was looking at drapper and owl.
    Please give me your opinions.

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume we are talking front projection here...£300 notes.

Well a bit of MDF board and a tub full of matt white paint is always the cheapest and quite often the best!

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £300? Won't get you an electric screen, that's for sure (well, not a good one at least).

What size do you need? Manual pulldown or fixed?

The Drapers don't seem to have the best reputation around here TBH.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'd forget Draper. Wrinkle city :) Owl are superb. You could also try Nexnix own make as they seem to be well regarded around here and about half the price of the Owl.

5. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
    We've just moved up from the painted MDF board, it was too heavy and a hassle to hide when you wanted to look out of the window. Screen 2 is made from vinly backed curtain blackout (its almost the same colour as Ice Storm 6) and to pieces of wood! No problem with wrinkles atm, but thats probably due to the drop on the 'screen' being twice the size of the actual viewing area (got to keep the light out from the window).

Total cost : 5 quiq for the material, 2 quid for the wood, 1 quid for the hanging bracket that clips over the curtain rail.

Screen 3 will incorporate a circular piece of wood/cardboard for the lower section so when you roll it up less wrinkles.

Tony

6. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for a DRH Screen (http://drhscreens.co.uk/) quite cheap and displays a good image.

I viewed it as an entry level manual screen - just to stick my toe in the water so to speak ;)

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sierix

I have been looking at those after reading some good things about their cheapest Matt white material.

As thier sales doesn't seem very good at answering emails, maybe you could answer a question or two...

Do you have a widescreen version? If so is the height adjustable? Do you have to have the full border at the top? If it is adjustable, is it infinately so, or does it have certain points where it locks?

Did you go for the Matt version or one of their higher gain models?

Does it hang well? Nice and flat? No sign of ripples?

Cheers
    Marc

8. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sierix
    what drh screen do you have? i was looking at the drh lite manual pull up for my sharp zx81.

9. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uczmeg & filmman: I have the 203 cm Matt White 16:9 manual.

There is a 45cm black border at the top - it is adjustable in as much as how far you pull it down ;) The increments it goes down in are about 6-10(ish) cm at a time - I fixed the screen to the roof before I mounted the PJ (as fantastically advised in the FAQ section :smashin: ) - then sat down where I was going to watch films from and decided which roll-down top border size I prefered - then set the PJ to that height.

Am happy so far - no wrinkles and only a very slight ammount of curl on one edge - makes no difference to viewing tho.

As this is my first screen & PJ I am utterly stoked with the end result and probably don't know what to look for yet in a great screen - but I wouldn't have chosen a different one if I was to do it again

hope that helps :)

10. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sierix, that helps lots.

Thank you!

I would have one on order, but so far this week on the forums I've bought Sky+, a DVI DVD player and an RGB to S-Video converter.

I need to rest the plastic a few days.

Cheers
    Marc