Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy Movies in the World ...ever! that you should watch

Garrett

Two more favorites I remembered again from the 50s and just into the 60s.
Saw at the above cinema Odeon, War of the Worlds 1953 being the support for Psycho it was the first time back then you could not just buy a ticket and walk in you had to wait till Psycho had finished.
The Time Machine 1960 I can watch this and have done scores of time charming and well told better than the remake(both stared Alan Young in different roles) one that was on my have to see when I saw some stills in Famous Monsters of Filmland. Also stars my second favorite actor Rod Taylor showing a more mellow side than is later second team up with Yvette Mimieux in The Mercenaries/Dark of the Sun(second time I bought a book twice).

Oh both George Pal directed films.

Glostarz

A few from me that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:

1: Primer (2004)
One of my favourite indie sci-fi movies with a very complicated, but massively satisfying story.

2: Upstream Color (2013)
From the same director as Primer, a bigger budget, but a no less complicated result. A very tranquil movie.

3: The Truman Show (1998)
Maybe not a true sci-fi movie, but I think is still relevant.

4: Vanilla Sky (2001)
Gets a bad rap, maybe because of the original, but I like it. Great story, amazing soundtrack.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor

One of my favourite indie sci-fi movies with a very complicated, but massively satisfying story.

From the same director as Primer, a bigger budget, but a no less complicated result. A very tranquil movie.
I'm in the minority of people who really don't like Primer. But I get very Uwe Boll over it and have vowed to fight anyone who says I don't like Primer because I don't get it.

Upstream Color is pretty great, though.

Belzok

How about Ex Machina - proper near future bow down to our machine overlords hard sci-fi.

Morden

My favorites
2001 best scifi film ever
Blade runner 5 versions to choose from. There must be one everyone likes

Blade runner 2049 brilliant cinematography
Matrix ground breaking and the nearest we get to a live action neuromancer
Interstellar for the black hole part.
V For Vendetta, though maybe not classed as scifi anymore?

In a parallel to 1984 john hurt is good as the main protagonist
Hugo weaving is brilliant considering he acts through a mask for the whole film, yet manages to convey emotions

Hidden/forgotten gems (not previously mentioned i think)
Cipher
Science fiction spy film
Classic philip k dick plot, man is in world that is not as it seems
And a matrix green vibe to the colours

Dark City
Directed by alex proya.
starring Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly, Richard O'Brien, and William Hurt
Another film that could easily be a philip k dick book
Basically world is not what it seems without giving the plot away.
And its bonkers.

The Thirteenth Floor
Nominated for saturn award for best scifi film, but lost out to the Matrix
An early film about VR simulation and an early Roland Emerich film

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I'm in the minority of people who really don't like Primer. But I get very Uwe Boll over it and have vowed to fight anyone who says I don't like Primer because I don't get it.
No you're not.

I hated it and it gave me a headache.

I understand that the budget was practically non-existent, but it was just so dull and lifeless.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member

3: The Truman Show (1998)
Maybe not a true sci-fi movie, but I think is still relevant.

4: Vanilla Sky (2001)
Gets a bad rap, maybe because of the original, but I like it. Great story, amazing soundtrack.

OMG how could I forget the utterly hypnotic Abre Los Ojos. When I first watched that movie, it stayed with me for days. Think Total Recall re-imagined as a Spanish (nightmarish) romance melodrama. Great performance from Eduardo Noriega as the Spanish playboy, complemented by the aptly cast Penelope Cruz (who has never been more covetable) as his dream girl. Best watched knowing absolutely nothing about it.

Vanilla Sky is probably an unnecessary remake although its a nice departure for Cameron Crowe away from his usual slightly more saccharine stuff (of which he does well). I really like the way Crowe integrates his music knowledge into the script such as one of the scenes in the movie being framed like a Bob Dylan album cover.

Gort

Blade Runner (original) - Just love the story behind this. I've always thought about what would happen once man finally created artificial sentience/sapience. This film added fuel to the fire.

Ex Machina - Again, for the reasons above. Some great actors involved in a thinking science fiction film about a subject that'll eventually come about.

Arrival - Amy Adams was great in this. An interesting take on first contact with alien life. Certainly made one think.

Planet of the Apes (original) - Always loved this dystopian take of the future of humanity. I've read the book and seen all the Apes film, but the original is the one that hits home every time for me.

Gattaca - Thoughtful take on the dangers of abuse of genetics and privilege. Gore Vidal, one of my favourite authors is also in it. Well, that last point isn't a reason for it being great, but so what. ;)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (original) - Well because I was asked by Derek S-H to add it to the list and because of my nick and avatar image, I'll add this film. It's actually my favourite science fiction film of the '50s. It's not silly, it has a message and is thoughtful. Plus that iconic robot!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom