Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy Movies in the World ...ever! that you should watch

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Doh!

I accidentally skipped this hidden gem:

Robot & Frank - minimal special effects and no explosions, but the pleasure comes in the intriguing story that keeps you guessing right up until the end.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
I think you’ve accidentally omitted Armageddon there... ;)
It’s only not in my Top 5 here because I listed it in the Action Movies one.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Concur with virtually everyone else. Would like to add a vote for Contact & Deep Impact though, they’re brilliant and criminally underrated. Watch them both at least once a year.
Every time someone mentions Interstellar I want to raise them a Contact. That said I also want to raise you an Armageddon versus your Deep Impact. I should probably rewatch Deep Impact though, I only saw it when it first came out, never since, might be worth an eval.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Doh!

I accidentally skipped this hidden gem:

Robot & Frank - minimal special effects and no explosions, but the pleasure comes in the intriguing story that keeps you guessing right up until the end.
Hidden gens is what I hope for most in this exercise. Mind you the Action thread has already cost me £100 in Blu-ray purchases of HK martial arts movies, not sure I have more cash. The Blu-ray for this is quite expensive but it’s free on Prime In SD only it seems.

Rawschach

Distinguished Member
In addition to the many classics already mentioned:

Flash Gordon (soundtrack, BLESSED, Klytus, Ming)

Lifeforce (mad as a box of frogs and great costume design)

The Fountain (love it, not even sure why)

The Black Hole (reminds me of my youth, maximillian is wonderful)

The Running Man (classic Arnie, love the concept of the hunters, funny)

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Hit 90 mentions quicker than the Action thread. Some nice unusual mentions in here. Surprised no mention of the Burton or Nolan Batman films thus far. Otherwise hard to think of an obvious omission to-date.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Every time someone mentions Interstellar I want to raise them a Contact. That said I also want to raise you an Armageddon versus your Deep Impact. I should probably rewatch Deep Impact though, I only saw it when it first came out, never since, might be worth an eval.
Interstellar wishes it was Contact !
Good shout for The Fountain to, amazing film, worth seeing for the OST and the trippy visuals alone.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Stargate

Actually one of my favourites, and often forgotten, due to the mammoth TV franchise it span off (which I barely watched after first 2-3 episodes). This film was just smart, and invested much in story and characters as it did in Special Effects. As I understand it the studio yanked it from Devlin/Emmerich who had a trilogy in mind that never saw the light of day.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Starship Troopers

A satirical B-movie with A-list budgets and C-list stars, based on the famous novel, but I gather shamelessly diluted and subverted. Nevertheless the ‘tone’ and ‘knowing’ script adds much to the ridiculously entertaining sci-fi classic. Sequels ridiculously sub-par though.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
The Adjustment Bureau
It could be a case that this movie is carried by the ridiculous onscreen charisma and banter of the 3 leads, but I remember thinking I’d seen a superior piece of cinema, and punched up sci-fi for a wider audience.

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
The Fountain.

I've never seen or heard of The Fountain but general browsing on the internet gives it a 4 to 4.5 score so I'm going to give it a whirl. :)

Its on Amazon Prime included with membership.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Hidden gens is what I hope for most in this exercise. Mind you the Action thread has already cost me £100 in Blu-ray purchases of HK martial arts movies, not sure I have more cash. The Blu-ray for this is quite expensive but it’s free on Prime In SD only it seems.
You're right - I got it for a fiver new, now it's nearly £18!

Mind you, it's available on Amazon Marketplace for under £4:

Amazon product

I still can't make up my mind about "The Adjustment Bureau", whether it's Sci-Fi or an action thriller with Sci-Fi elements, hence why I've never bought it. Sounds like you'd recommend it?

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Another one popped into my head whilst I was out walking: "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers".

I have a particular soft spot for the 1956 original and it just works so well in black & white, but I also know the 1978 colour remake is highly regarded too.

Conversely, having seen the 1953 version of "The War Of The Worlds", I much prefer the 2005 remake as I found it more gripping and thrilling.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Looking through your updated list, @scrowe, I see no mention for "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"?

Many people don't regard it as a "proper" "Star Trek" film, but I think it's the only one that can be enjoyed on its own merits, that you don't need to know anything about the previous films or TV series and it's just so much fun.

And there's been talk on this site recently, with some justification, that Bruce Willis is just going through the motions of acting whilst taking home a fat pay cheque. But I really enjoyed both "Surrogates" from 2009 and "Looper" from 2012 - hugely entertaining and he does look like he actually cares too.

Last edited:

scrowe

Distinguished Member
I still can't make up my mind about "The Adjustment Bureau", whether it's Sci-Fi or an action thriller with Sci-Fi elements, hence why I've never bought it. Sounds like you'd recommend it?
I mean its not a religious experience or anything, but brazenly entertaining, and not in a dumb way.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Melancholia: Lars Von Trier's study of clinical depression, but with a significant sci-fi, astronomical element. Devastating stuff and one of my favourite films of the decade. I think it certainly qualifies.

At the far opposite end of the spectrum: Thor Ragnarok. Like Flash Gordon for a new generation. Funny af and a nice blend of fantasy, sci-fi, and superhero energy.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
It's no good, I have to try and bump the total up to the magic 100!

Two films, one justified but the other potentially divisive:

Serenity - it just kind of draws you in with its wit, charm and memorable characters.

Returner - heavily influenced by (okay, blatantly rips off) "The Matrix", but it is super cool and stylish and well worth catching.

100 now I think!

Garrett

Been trying to think of my favorite and saw on Monday The Incredible Shrinking Man on the Horror Channel which takes me back to the days as a kid when parent trusted you to cross the road safely and catch a bus when I went to the local Odeon who often had a trailer for showings on Wednesday totally different screening to the general run of films one was Fantasia and others, this with an other going to be show and as under age for that film and the premise really intrigued me even the ring bit. I read the book and swapped for a Dennis Wheatly book and re bought to read again. I did get to see the film and have it as a DVD disc.
Although some scary things going on class a sci-fi film.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Been trying to think of my favorite and saw on Monday The Incredible Shrinking Man on the Horror Channel which takes me back to the days as a kid when parent trusted you to cross the road safely and catch a bus when I went to the local Odeon who often had a trailer for showings on Wednesday totally different screening to the general run of films one was Fantasia and others, this with an other going to be show and as under age for that film and the premise really intrigued me even the ring bit. I read the book and swapped for a Dennis Wheatly book and re bought to read again. I did get to see the film and have it as a DVD disc.
Although some scary things going on class a sci-fi film.
Your mention of "The Incredible Shrinking Man" reminded me of a Box Set I bought last year for less than £10:

Amazon product

I must admit that I bought it mainly for "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" as buying just that film on its own was close to £10 anyway at the time, so to have six other films chucked in was a complete bargain.

It's still a great value set - the two creature features are merely okay, "Invasion" and "Thing" are classics and I like the other three.

I know a lot of 50's Sci-Fi seems to be about screaming, hysterical women and square-jawed, heroic men, but once you look past that tiresome stereotyping and limitation they're really rather enjoyable.

Garrett

Your mention of "The Incredible Shrinking Man" reminded me of a Box Set I bought last year for less than £10:

Amazon product

I must admit that I bought it mainly for "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" as buying just that film on its own was close to £10 anyway at the time, so to have six other films chucked in was a complete bargain.

It's still a great value set - the two creature features are merely okay, "Invasion" and "Thing" are classics and I like the other three.

I know a lot of 50's Sci-Fi seems to be about screaming, hysterical women and square-jawed, heroic men, but once you look past that tiresome stereotyping and limitation they're really rather enjoyable.

Was that on my recommandation I posted a head up for the box set a few times.
The price on the link for a used one the new once way way more.
EDIT
Last on Feb last year.
They turned
Becky in the tunnel into a pod person, but the pods took people over and formed the new body in the pod and the original died.

I prefer it the way it ended as well.

I know it's only DVD but there a good boxset of sci fi of that era and one of my other favorites from the era in it The Incredible Shrinking Man.
Oh on the Invasion disc is a colourised version and the very worst conversion I ever seen.

Last edited:

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Three of my favourites I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Demon Seed - Never seems to get a mention in any retrospective sci-fi list. Robert Vaughn gives a fantastic and uncredited voice only performance... and that ending. Due a remake, possibly based on the re-written novel.

Love - "Journey, not destination" viewing with a wonderful soundtrack and an uplifting and emotional last few minutes.

A Ghost Story - Genuinely heartbreaking in places (the ghost in the other house) and contains an extended pie-eating scene. And a wonderful 'insert your own words' ending.

... and

Signs - Still my favourite M. Night movie. Watched it on Disney+ the other day for the first time in ages. Had forgotton how creepy it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV