Best scary film for surround sound?

The Orphanage has a really good soundtrack, lots of footsteps and door banging that will have you jumping out your chair.

Insidious.... (Well, the first half of it anyway...)

Drag me to Hell!

It'll have you "Bitch-Air-slapping" like a scared child!

The Descent is pretty good for surround sound. I was genuinely concerned for the characters in this film. There are a lot of jumpy moments, but one scene in particular is responsible for my biggest movie scare , my head nearly hit the ceiling.

Looking for ideas on films to impress and scare the other half to death, but can't think of any films which make u jump, especially with surround sound in action.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Final Destination, the original. That will work a treat, especially the bus bit.

I found the sound on the Strangers to be rather effective at making the film much more enjoyable than it sound be

'The Haunting' (Liam Neeson)DTS-ES 6.1. Ok movie and the sound will tear your house apart. It's got to be the US import though.

You wanna check out the original Haunting and stop wasting time with silly remakes, mate. There's a scene in that film (and I don't even think it's in stereo) that will terrify you with its sound.

'The Haunting' (Liam Neeson)DTS-ES 6.1. Ok movie and the sound will tear your house apart. It's got to be the US import though.

Sadly not available on Blu-ray. The DTS DVD is a masterclass in surround sound. Subwoofer threatening is an understatement.:D

I found the sound on the Strangers to be rather effective at making the film much more enjoyable than it sound be

+1 for The Strangers - very sparse but well placed surround. Haven't watched Drag me to Hell at home but in the cinema it was pretty good, quite a busy, loud soundtrack though.

This was my show off your system discs for many years, hope it comes out on bluray with an even better sound, just amazing.

Sadly not available on Blu-ray. The DTS DVD is a masterclass in surround sound. Subwoofer threatening is an understatement.:D

What a pity, then, that it's not remotely scary. Maybe if it hadn't encumbered itself with the same title as a movie which is genuinely terrifying (and doesn't need all the CGI bells and whistles to achieve it) then it might have been given a chance by folk whose knowledge of horror films extends beyond the last ten years. But it didn't and it hasn't.

Sorry to be such a mensch but the thread is about scary films with good surround sound, not films with good surround sound.

Maybe if it hadn't encumbered itself with the same title as a movie which is genuinely terrifying

Sorry to be such a mensch but the thread is about scary films with good surround sound, not films with good surround sound.

The original "The Haunting" isn't half as scary as folks make out. In fact the remake scared the bejeezus out of me 'cause I thought I'd blown both woofers on my subs.:D

I could say Darkness Falls, Ghost Ship and a few others. IMO they're decent scary(ish) films with great sound, some folks will disagree.

The original "The Haunting" isn't half as scary as folks make out.

Oh it is, me old china, oh it is.

I first watched it as a kid with my mum (the person solely responsible for introducing me to horror films) and it scared me as much then as it did when I watched it recently for a Hallowe'en fest. Dead Of Night is another hoary old classic which still manages to scare.

But in terms of surround sound, both would be sorely lacking:laugh:

Horror is like comedy, though, in many ways. And one similarity is that what might effect one person may have no effect whatsoever on someone else. No-one is right or wrong when it comes to personal taste. So we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this one, fella.

(By the way, I love the aside about you being scared that you'd blown your subs!)

Totally agree.:smashin:
Pity it's not out on Blu ray.:(

The Descent & 30 Days of Night also have excellent soundtracks.

Last edited:
Darkness Falls was a pants movie but the sounds scared the shizznit out of me and my mates!

Drag me to Hell!

It'll have you "Bitch-Air-slapping" like a scared child!

LOL awesome

On another note this chap is right, only film in a LONG time that had me jumping and giving me a shiver down my spine on quite a few scenes. Film itself wasnt that scary but it had a lot of jumpy scenes.

Darkness Falls was a pants movie but the sounds scared the shizznit out of me and my mates!

I didnt think that was too bad tbh.

On another note I seriously need to learn to read whole threads instead of replying as I go lol will be a lot less hassle.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom