best scart cable and where to buy online?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bishman, Jul 23, 2001.

1. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Can anybody offer their opinions on the highest quality scart cable available? I have an arcam DV88 DVD player and am connecting to a Toshiba 32" widescreen. I have read good reports of both QED and Ixos cables, but am after some real life feedback.

Also if anybody has any good sites where cables can be brought online, then that would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Both cables you suggested are great - try www.hificables.co.uk free P&P with money back if not satisfied.

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Real life says the law of diminishing returns soon sets in with SCART leads.

Once you have the features offered for around £15 or so - i.e. fully shielded. oxygen free, nice shiny gold connectors, etc - then you will be hard pushed to notice any difference with a more expensive cable.

Of course the QED and IXOS are good cables and well made. So if your pocket is deep enough you can buy piece of mind and rest assured you have a top quality cable.

However, you could shop around and get something just as good for much less.
    Most retailers seem to stock the Profi Gold range, which are much cheaper - say £25 - than the QED and IXOS, but are well made.
    They seem a good compromise between the no-name £10 gold platted job, and the £50 high end one.

A decent retailer might lend you some different ones to try.

4. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that...QED are the masters

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Well if you really want to waste your money, why not go to Hifocables.co.uk
    There they will happily take £125 off you for a 1 metre Chord SCART cable.
    If you must have the best, then there you have it.
    It is the most expensive, so it must be better mustn't it?
    It even uses 'BBC Specification' coax cable. Wooh!
    But of course, they recommend that you "ask our advice if you are not sure if your equipment can benefit from this excellent cable".
    Which is true emperors new clothes syndrome.
    i.e. only the truely rich and gullible will be able to see the difference.

Sorry for being so cynical. But I think you will be wasting your money. Of course it is yours to waste, and if it keeps you happy..

7. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Loz,

You obviously feel strongly about this !
    The important point here, as you mentioned is to find a retailer either on line or not that allows you to try new cables. I recently purchased a £30 S Video cable but I could not see any difference to the £10 one I had already so I returned it - full refund no problem, however at the same time I changed my digital coax from a £10 lead to a £20 lead and heard a nice improvement in sound. It's all part of the 'fun'

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Well people are free to spend their money how they see fit.

Whilst there is some merit in buying a 'decent' cable, there seems to be an element of hype creeping in to av cables as their is/was with speaker cables.

Suddenly all sorts of bs is dished out to claim why xyz cables are superior, but it seems to me with little justification.

There has been a healthy debate of late on uk.rec.audio about speaker cables, with most of the resident 'experts' rubbishing the value of high end cables - and particularly rubbishing the claims of the manufacturers which are it seems mainly unscientific. One manufacturer was acqused of using common garden coax inside their own pretty casing and then surrounding it with even more mumbo jumbo to justify it.

The concensus there seemed to be that av cables were the same. Once some basic solid engineering and reasonable quality materials were in place, then anything else claimed by more expensive cables was nothing more than hype.

Of course there is the recognised pyschological impact of owning a more expensive cable and therefore perceiving differences because you want to (or have to, in order to justify it to yourself).

But in double blind test, (or is that double sight tests ;) ) I would be surprised if people could spot the more expensive cable, or clearly show why it was better.
    Yes the £50 one is going to be better than the £1.99 one, but is it going to be better than the £19.99 one, or is the £125 one going to be better still? And can you tell which is which?
    I doubt it.
    Of course, I havent tried a £125 one so I might be wrong, but I have compared others and seen no difference.

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    WOW, a 125.00 cable, that must be the one to get...

Seriously though, I think you miss the point a little Loz. I was asking for peoples advice on cables used in their own systems, not for the most expensive. I have read reports of the QED and Ixos and I was trying to establish wether it is hype or if there really would be a noticeable difference difference.

Is the 125.00 cable you speak of any good, if it really offers a greater picture, then it is a worthy investment. If however the differences can only be seen when using an oscilloscope or such, then it is a waste of money.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

10. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Sorry. I thought that WAS the whole point of my reply.
    i.e. you wont notice any difference between the QED and the IXOS.
    and you wont notice any difference if you buy a cheaper one either.

And you did ask what was the highest quality cable, not just whether QED was better than IXOS

[ 23-07-2001: Message edited by: loz ]

11. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SCART cables are different.
    I for one would spend between £30 - £50 on a good cable. (Remember that a SCART is like 6 cables in one)
    Cheap SCARTS give nothing but trouble and are prone to poor sound and smearing in the picture.
    I have not tried the QED, but based on past experience with other QED cables, they usually give good value.
    I for one would never use a cheap SCART again, as I paid a lot for my DVD player and films and want to get the best out of them.
    My wife could notice the difference with both picture and sound (sound through the TV and RGB picture) and she was a sceptic through and through.
    :rolleyes: :p :p :rolleyes: ;)

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This is quite common practice. What really bugs me is the exagerated claims made for the 'special' cables. Coax is HIGH quality cable and people who know about cables realise this. I have two which I think are pretty well the best money can buy. Both are 75 ohm cables and therefore can be used for analogue, digital and video uses. This is perfect. Price is less than £1/m. Quality cable is not expensive. However good plugs and soldering techniques are not common.

You will not be disappointed with Ixos and QED. I have no hands home based experience of QED but the IXOS does what is claimed about it and it is 75 ohm coax. There may be cheaper options but look to see if it has been made with 75 ohm coax and the screens are in the right place.

[ 23-07-2001: Message edited by: Nic Rhodes ]

13. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nic.
    I can imagine that it would be difficult to find out if the cable was really 75 ohm or not. In the end all that matters is if the cable does the job or not.
    I have Profigold SCART´s and must say that at £30 pounds they do the job and are much better than another £25 cable that I tried.
    Considering how complex a SCART cable is (they are two way and carry both audio and RF frequencies), I would consider £30 quite a low price for what appears to be a well made cable.
    Given the price of a TV and DVD player plus the DVD´s themselves, I would have to say that if the QED is even slightly better than the Profigold it would be good value remembering that an upgrade to the DVD player would cost far more.
    Even if the difference appears small at first, a slightly improved picture and TV sound will produce less fatigue for the viewer over time remembering that DVD´s are normally at least 2 hours +.
    :)
    On another note it is well worth replacing the patch cables from the wall to video and video to TV with cables made up from satelite cable and good quality connectors (We are talking about £3 to £4 here). Those white patch cables are no good at all, but nearly everybody uses them. Satelite cable has good screening and is truly 75 ohm.
    The screening must at it´s most inportant at the back of the TV and DVD player.
    If you can, switch off the RF output from the Video and Sat box if you have them, as using SCART conections makes these extra 'channels' with their extra sidebands redundant.
    ;)

[ 24-07-2001: Message edited by: ISCM ]

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

I know the IXOS is 75 ohm because I asked. :D

I have used it for off the shelf in it's flat for for several custom cables.

I agree that that my £40 IXOS does appear to work better than some <£25 cables. It's price was not unreasonable hence I bought these cables. The reason I put this down to are hinted at earlier. I can see no real justification for going any further, particularly with Scart connectors. If you want some really expensive Scarts look towards Russ Andrews!

For the record I now have distched all Scart connectors becuse I think the quality is crap. Yes it is very convenient and an European standard but it is lo fi (or should that be Lo-video or Lo-AV). 75 Ohm RCAs are better (rare) and 75 ohm BNC are in different league and cheaper.

15. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    QED do an RGB only SQART. Only the RGB connections are present, and it is directional.

16. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I wasnt recommending cheap cables, but observing that the law of diminishing returns sets in. Once you have good quality basics - say in the profigold for £25, then it is hard to see that additional benefits a £50 cable would have. Yet alone a £125 one.

This was my point about the Chord and claiming 'BBC Specification' coax as one of its features. Is that any different to the best quality satellite cable that is not that expensive, and likely used in the QED or Profigold anyway?

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    No difference generally but many audiophiles cable companies actually muck up cables and make them worse. Sat 100 / 125, RG59 and RG 6 are HIGH quality cables satisfying the most demanding professionals applications. Way beyond what is needed here.

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh my god!that loz realy is bitter and twisted isnt he?

19. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Er, No. Quite a happy chappie really
    :D

What led you to that conclusion?

I just think expensive cables are a scam, so when someone asks I just point that out.

20. Steve J Davies

Steve J Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know the skinny on scarts in particular but my hi-fi made me think about cables and when I found http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/tweaks.html
    it made me think a lot more.
    Now will the cable manufacturers have a different philosophy to the marketing and pricing of their HC cables as opposed to their hi-fi ones.....mmmmnn let me think about that....

21. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well, in the end I decided to go for a QED lead. On Monday evening I ordered their cable wired for RGB video only, no sound or other video being wired. I brought it for 41.99 with free postage from hifibitz (thanks Tracey).

Anyway, it arrived this morning and there is a definate improvement in picture quality over my previous cable, I can't remember the make but paid 20.00 for it. Obviously it is not an enormous improvment like from video to DVD, but there is an increase in overall picture clarity. The money spent has, in my opinion, been justified.

As a side effect, I now don't have to turn the TV volume down when watching a movie, coz no sound being transmitted. Would have been worth the cash alone just to save that extra effort ;)

22. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody checked cables from www.lektropacks.co.uk .Apparently they have a fully wired scart to scart going for £16 amongst other items. They were given a high rating from What Video and TV.