1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best scaler for 505XDE

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rb10, Mar 4, 2005.

1. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

wanted to know what the best sub (-1000) {the cheaper the better} scaler would be for a pio 505xde (with pio ax5ai amp + panny S97 dvd player).
    especially anyone fancies the Lumagens more than the Iscans or vice versa? or other makes?

thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well under a grand choice is limited....LumagenDVi and Iscan HD+ are both scalers but different.....for £1k you could have the lumagen and ISF (nearly) taht is how i would spend a grand.....unless you need audio delay in which case has to be an iScan as you have a pio XDE the cheaper iScan HD is an option as it has DVi passthrough but with only one HDMI onplasma the 2 DVi inputs un lumagen would give you the soon to be needed DVI-D/HDMI (lees audio) switching.......

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,501
    Easy answer... a HTPC

Cheers
    Andy

4. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My choice was the LumagenHDP, granted cost is over 1K but this provides greater future proofing in that, unlike the DVI, it will scale HD signals. Not that much use today but will be in 2006 when Sky HD becomes available.
    Comparison between IScan and Lumagen today shows not too much performance difference (audio delay apart) but I find the Lumagen is more versatile with greater flexibility in configuration options.

Andy

5. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I went for the Lumagen HDP with my 505XDE, but it's not sub-£1,000. I also have the AX5Ai amp so I know that handles audio delay if required, so needn't be a decision in your selection process. I didn't actually demo any scalers, I went on blind faith, but much online research led me to believe that the iscans were worthy competitiors to the DVI, and perhaps easier to use, but the Lumagens had more flexibility and potential in the longer term. Then it became obvious that the HDP was worth the xtra outlay due to it's extra power and longer-term devlopment potential.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Can I just point out the DVI does actually scale and deinterlace HD. The DVI will not be able to benefit from the Film detection on 1080i sources or from the superior scaling algorithms that are being developed. So in that regard with a view to the future the HDP is the unit of choice.

Gordon

7. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Gordon,how much for the HDP & how does it benefit over a HTPC?

Regards Dan

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    SRP:£1260

The debate about HTPC is fierce and has been covered alot I think. Each has its place but you should never assume that all HTPC's are of equal performance...even if they have the same hardware in them.

Gordon

9. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One drawback with HTPC is that you have thousands of different options and software to run, you can keep going all the time if you want fiddling with settings and so on and still not being satisfied.

I will buy a Crystalio 2300 when budget allows as it is so much simpler with one box solution that does it all and you know it will perform well when properly set up.