1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best scaler/deinterlacer with PD7?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sulis, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm tempted to go for a 42" PHD7 over the PWD6 or 7, but it seems that you need a scaler to get the best out of it - especially for SKY+ (which will be the most-used input).

The iScanHD seems to be the forum's choice, but I wondered about the Cinemateq Picture Optimiser Plus 2 - one instant advantage is that it has scart inputs as well as RGB. Any other thoughts?

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I asked a similar question a while ago (a week or so) and was told it would be fine without a scaler :)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It will be fine without a scaler, it depends how far up your own you know where you are about PQ! The thing is pretty damn good anyway, the scaler is the icing on the cake. Both DVDO and Lumagen have RGBS inputs, effectively scart. You connect with a scart to 4 phono lead, QED, Keene and Lektropacks do them. You could add a scaler later, (no dear, I've had it for ages) if you found it helped. You need to see one with and without.

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am so far up my arse about PQ that I'll have to watch any new system through my nostrils... I'd love to see a side-by-side with and without scaler, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere round here (Bath) to do that. But of course you're right that the scaler can be added later - I'm reassured by your saying that it's not needed immediately. My thinking was that if I were going to get a scaler anyway, I could avoid coughing up for JS converters and upsampling amps when I put the system together.

And it's always better to try and get it past SWMBO as one big lump to avoid recriminations later...

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Sulis

Better to think in terms of getting the best signal 'Into' the Display :)

Adding a decent external Video Processor which allows you to programme the output of the processor to exactly match the 1024x768 pixel array of the TH-42PJD7BKJ Display at various refresh rates works a treat.

We've supplied a fair few of the Panasonic HD Display (6 and 7 Series) along with the Lumagen processors and you'll be hard pushed to find a DVD player that's anywhere near as good at Film/Video detection and also offering pixel to pixel scaling so don't limit your plans for a Processor to just making the most of your Digibox.

I'd also consider having the system Configured and ISF Calibrated to ensure your getting the most out of it.

Within the Lumagen Vision range you have the DVI (SRP £815.00) that will Deinterlace and Scale to 768P from most SD and HD signals (inc 720P) and the more expensive HDP (SRP £1,260.00) that again will Deinterlace and Scale to 768P including full film detection on 1080i HD sources and includes more overhead in the video chip sets.

There's also the potential for 10bit Scaling on the HDP and Pro HDP (SRP £2,150.00).

Drop me a note if you want more info on any of the above.

Best regards

Joe

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Would your SWMBO notice a 45mm thick scaler in the rack? Mine is so boss eyed from work when she gets in I had to point out the other day we had a new plasma on the wall! Mind you, it's not infrequent, perhaps she was just blase.

7. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Joe. I would definitely get everything calibrated (after it has been run in, presumably - one month?). Could you explain what the advantage of the more wincingly expensive Lumagens is, since the panel only goes to 720, and I'm presuming that this is all SKY will offer as HD...?

If I used any of these scalers could I recoup some of the wonga by using slightly lower specced amps/DVD players (ie. no lip sync delay, no upsampling, etc.)? Any you'd recommend for this panel (I'm hoping to get the Gallo-esque Orb Audio speakers for WAF)?

8. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    She'll notice it on the bank statement - anything over £1.37 and I get a grilling... (she's all right, really).

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Sulis

The Panasonic TH-42PHD7BKJ Display has an 1024x768 Progressive Pixel array - send it a 720P signal and the Internal processor still has to 'scale' the image to fill the 768 lines; that's one area where the lower cost processor your considering is a compromise and where SKY+ will still benefit from external 'scaling'.

Using a Lumagen VisionDVI or VisionHDP allows you to input SD and HD signals and then Output 1024x768 at the Optimal refresh rate for each Input and bypass all but the absolute minimal processing within the Display.

You'll want to ensure your AV Receiver has a User Adjustable Digital Audio delay - as any 'Processor' will add a delay to the Video signal; you can add in external Delays but these are relatively expensive compared to a full spec AV Receiver.

The choice of AV Receiver and Speakers is down to many factors - including the visual impact of adding five or more enclosures to your living space. We supple a fair few systems built around Denon AV Receivers and the Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro speakers (a 5:1 Gallo system can now be had for £1k if you include the NEW TR1 sub woofer - are the 'Orbs' much less expensive?).

Best regards

Joe

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Joe - the Orbs work out at about £100 a pop including shipping for the Stainless steel versions, plus the sub - but they say you can use many UK subs to save the $180 shipping. What I like about them is that you can upgrade any of the speakers by just bolting a second one on.

I heard the Gallos at a local dealer, and felt the sub was woofly, and that the centre channel needed more control and clarity - I suspect I'd want one of the dual ones with the centre tweeter for that. But I'm prepared to give them another go, as the price certainly seems to have come down a bit...

I guess the idea that I'd save on amps is a bit unrealistic - I was looking at 2805/3805 Denons and 750/2500 Yammys anyway. I was hoping to get away with just a Panny E85 to go with the SKY+ box, but I suspect that a dedicated DVD player is need, too...

The only cloud on the horizon is SWMBO plumping for a 37" panel rather than 42" due to the small size of the gap between the windows where the panel would go - this would kibosh the HD option. But maybe a scaler would still be worthwhile?

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Sulis

With the Micros (or any small speaker) its quite tricky getting the centre channel working well - it takes a fair bit of trial and error I find to get it just right; though with an AVR-3805 or similar you should have the dynamics in the amplifier stage to get the sound 'out of the speaker cabinet'.

I'm not convinced that adding additional point source drivers would make for better imaging - possibly something with a wider dispersion is what you require on the centre channel.

The TH-37PWD7BKJ is 920mm wide and the TH-42PHDBKJ is 1020mm wide - its not a huge leap in chassis dimensions; I'd definitely push towards the HD if you can.

I now have printed literature on the 7 Series if you want a copy.

Drop me a PM if you want more detail on AV Receiver/Loudspeakers selection.

Best regards

Joe