Best satellite speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by planbeta, Jun 4, 2002.

1. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Still undecided whether there will be enough space in my room for 'proper' speakers yet (I will know when I have finished decorating!).

If there is I will go for the KEF Q1's ... in the case of there not being enough room, which are the BEST sat speakers? Is the KEF HTS2001 the best?

Cheers :blush:

2. Geoffrey Shrek

Geoffrey Shrek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good question to start an argument. The KEF eggs are very popular but are no match for the KEF Q1 especially if you are interested in music as well as films.

The Definitive Technology Pro Cinema range are probably better than the eggs but my advice would be to make room for "proper" speakers and you won't regret it.

3. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    M and K speakers are worth a look if sat speakers are a must.
    The only down side is they are a bit pricey.
    Gary

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I presume that the question was more about speaker size than freqency response which would rule M&K out.

5. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suppose it depends how you define 'satellites' - is there a definitation?!

I've been looking at the some of the small M&K speakers as suggested and they aren't really sats' but also aren't really 'proper' speakers - somewhere in the middle I suppose.

This would probably ideal for me, small enough for my room without too much compromise in sound - the new M&K XENON LCR-35, for example, is only 24cm x 10cm x 15cm compared to the KEF Q1 which is 31cm high and the depth is 30cm.

I am definately tempted by the M&K's, I am also looking at: PSB, Mirage and Def. Tech too - how do these rate?

So much choice it's annoying! :D

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The Def Tech Pro Cinema sats are pretty good for their size but I have just moved up from them to M&K which are several steps up the quality ladder.

They are not full range speakers as they don't go below 80Hz and you need a good subwoofer to get the best out of them. I use a second hand REL Storm.

With the Def Techs (and other sats) there is a definite dip in the lower mid / upper bass region where the sats tail off and the sub doesn't quite reach but that has now gone and the frequency response is smooth throughout the range.

They also sound much much better so if they are in your price range, definately give them a listen.

7. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    Which M&K's do you have?

Chip