best sat nav in market at the mo !

khalilk

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello every body !

i would like to know whick is the best SAT NAV out at the moment for CAR USE.

Ie Pioneer , kenwood, Alpine

software easy to use ...

coverage ....

and dvd included or potential to add on

thanx ...

I believe its the Alpine NVE099P with the Alpine IVAD300R head unit but they may only be because I have it :)

No Really, its simple to use, has TMC which works brill and has expanderbillity.

An addition to this thread, can anyone recommend a good Sat Nav sub £350 ? I've seen the Tom Tom unit but didn't know what to go for. Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Dean.

Buy a pocket pc ( there is one in the classifield section for less than £130) its a 400Mhz so its fast enough. It comes with 128 Ram so that good too.

Add a gps module for £50 from any good electrical retailer and + tom tom software all for under £300 and its also a pda. Jobs a good un for - side of 300. i have seen a fair few people with one and they work really good.

I have a TomTom Go - If you want something accurate & easy to use then this is a good choice. Very clear spoken voice + nice and loud if you want.
Software is upgradable via their website, & it comes with data cable to connect to your PC. One really nice feature is being able to download POI's (points of interest) from the net. I download the speed camera database from www.pocketgps.co.uk, which is updated monthly. This means once installed onto your TomTom, it will give you a visual & audible alert upon approaching a Gatso, specs, red light, mobile or temp speed cam. This not only works with cameras but any POI you choose. You can add your own too.

If I may join the thread - thanks for the links guys - I wasn't even considering Sat Nav for my car until a nightmare journey through the Scottish lowlands today (where signposts have never been discovered) :eek: followed by an even worse experience driving around and around central Glasgow trying to find the correct way out the City :rolleyes: Didn't take long to convince myself that I need satellite navigation now.

So TomTom seems to get a thumbs up -especially as it seems to be able to double as a sort of anti-camera assist. A few questions though:

- How accurate is it? I like to visit Castles which can be in out of the way places - is TomTom good with B roads and the like?

- How flexible is it? i.e. if I miss the recommended turn (a frequent occurance!) will it just collapse or will it workout the next best route?

- I assume I should limit myself to one of the PDAs on the 'compatible' list (not really a problem for me). I would only want to use the PDA for Car Nav so is there any benefit of getting a faster/better specced model, i.e. would TomTom run better?

Many thanks for the help - I am a complete newbie at all this :smashin:

Rasczak said:
I wasn't even considering Sat Nav for my car until a nightmare journey through the Scottish lowlands today (where signposts have never been discovered) :eek: followed by an even worse experience driving around and around central Glasgow trying to find the correct way out the City

I found Glasgow a fairly easy city to negotiate not least as the motorway is easily accessed from the city centre. Now Edinburgh - bloody nightmare,big time.

I found Glasgow a fairly easy city to negotiate not least as the motorway is easily accessed from the city centre
But which motorway - all I wanted was to go from the M74 to the M8 - I took a wrong turn and that was it. Lost! First enroute to Stirling and then somewhere in Glasgow. I'd still be driving around now if I hadn't stumbled across the way out by following the Airport Bus!

I'm have no doubt it's my driving navigation that is at fault and not Glasgow. But Sat nav would definetly prevent a repeat occurance of today's nightmare!

Rasczak said:
- How accurate is it? I like to visit Castles which can be in out of the way places - is TomTom good with B roads and the like?

- How flexible is it? i.e. if I miss the recommended turn (a frequent occurance!) will it just collapse or will it workout the next best route?
:smashin:

Its very accurate, I have yet to come to a road that it has not recognized

Flexible? If you miss your turn, it will direct you to the next best route without your intervention. If there is no alternative route then it will tell you to "Turn around when possible"

I got the train (!) into Glasgow today and picked up a TomTom Go for £429. I don't doubt I could have got it significantly cheaper online or by buying a PDA and TomTom pack but necessity forced my hand.

Only tested it out and about in the locality but, so far, it seems as good as promised - even when travelling out into the abyss (Carrick Castle!). Very flexible, very quick and very user friendly. Thanks to all who recommended TomTom!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom