1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best -RW or +RW media for compatibility?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by retrof, Jan 19, 2005.

1. retrof

retrof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi All,

I'm using my PC as a DVD recorder, and I have the option of using -RW or +RW discs (just using is as a basic dvd recorder for timeshifting, and want to re-use discs). I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of what media is best for RW use, and whether it's better to use -RW or +RW for compatibility with standard DVD players? - I'm quite aware of the differences between the two formats, and don't want to start another formats debate. What I'm looking for is opinions from avforums members on which format, and which brand of media work best for you for rewritable use?

Thanks in advance.
    -rf

2. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
  3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    They are pretty much identical.

If you look at the results reported on http://www.videohelp.com, each show 80% compatibility.

I like Verbatim -RWs... but apparently it is the actual dye manufacturer which is more significant... still they have always worked well for me.

Mark

4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Personally I use Imation, TDK and Philips for +RW. All work fine on other players / drives for me.